- advertisement -

Personal D horror stories...may be disturbing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shekov, Apr 8, 2008.

1. shekov

shekov Approved members

After reading a couple other posts recently about combative adult lows, I found myself thinking a lot about my personal experience with a D dad and brother.

I know a lot of you also have stories. Maybe it's my dark side peeking out but I'd like to share a couple of mine.

When my brother was in his late teens/early 20s he went through a period when lows would come on really fast and he wouldn't always be able to treat quickly enough. One low hit him while waiting for a bus on a fairly busy street. He knew he needed help but got confused and wasn't able to verbalize it. He couldn't stand or walk. He watched helplessly as people walked by him, apparently thinking he was drunk.

My dad went low one day when my brothers and I were all in elemetary school. He refused to drink the juice my mom offered, insisting he wasnt' low. He became EXTREMELY angry, yelling and swearing at my mom. He ended up getting in his car and driving away. My mom had to leave us at home alone to follow him. Even knowing exactly what was happening and why, it was scary for a kid.

These are the things that popped into my head when I saw the HI reading on the meter the day I tested my 2 year old. Every now and then they sneak back in. Today is one of those days.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm so sorry Shekov...I really don't know what else to say....:(

Sending you many hugs. Hang in there! We are all here for you, in good and bad times!

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

My mom was married to a T1 who got very combative when low - now she lives with me and still worries about him being all alone - but she couldn't take it any more. I have talked to him numerous times about changing his regimen and not going to bed under 150, etc...he seems to be doing ok - but he was a part of our family for 20+ years that it is hard to think about him all alone when he is low. He will be comping for a visit (he is in Puerto Rico and we are in Maine) next month, and I know my youngest is excited - they love to test together and see where their #'s are and stuff...so hopefully we can talk to him about his care more.

But I remember having to sit in his back and hold his nose close so my mom could dump Corn Syrup in his mouth...it worries me, but I also know my daughter is not on NPH and will hopefully not have such dramatic episodes - I hope!

4. shekov

shekov Approved members

I'm just having a sad day. My dad was a great guy but never took care of himself physically. I never once saw him test his blood sugar. My brother is a marathon runner now and incredibly healthy. I know how different D care is now. It's still a rotten, scary disease.

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Daniel my dh is one of the one's who when is low gets mean.. He had thrown Dr. Pepper cans at me, tried to break my arm and several other things.. At the time it bothers me, but I try to remember that it's not his fault.. And this really bothers him not knowing what he could do when he is low, he doesn't want to hurt anyone!

6. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

I don't get mean per say, but I get paranoid. I've accused my mom or partner of trying to poison my juice, steal my insulin pump, and many a conspiracy against them. And it all makes sense to me at the time. I always feel bad for cussing them or saying something mean or accusing them of things they didn't do, but i don't control it when i'm low.

7. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Joey can get very combatative and argumentative when he's low. Throws things, punches walls, swings at me, twists my arms, curses a blue streak. We've had quite a few wrestling matches, literally, when he tries to storm out. Im amazed at how strong a 12 y.o. can be. The other day he got mad enough that he scratched a 4 inch long sore on his lower arm saying it itched. We are in therapy & discussing this w/ his doctors also at least 2x a week. Ok well, he's in therapy. Im not....but in a way, Im glad to see Im not alone. I HATE that this is happening. We are both having a really hard time w/ this right now, but knowing its not just us, helps a bit. I just wish there was more I could do.

Hang in there shekov. Just remember you arent alone...we are all here for you. ((((hugs))) :cwds:

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Sherry...Im so sorry that you had to witness those horrible lows growing up yes that is very scary...I hate the lows too, they scare me beyond belief!! My little one went so low one time that she was twitching so violently and it was horrible to see your child that way! I am so fearful of lows, because my child is so young cannot "verbalize" them yet, its all on me and the meter and at her age {2} things happen so quickly sometimes!

9. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Sherry,
    Reading your story made me realize something about my own father. He reciently told me that he was dx'ed with type 1 when he was in his 40's, he was 41 when I was born and he lived with us until I was 10.

I remember times when he would fly into a rage and throw things and fall on the floor and my mother would bring him some candy or juice.

My mom left him when I was 10 and told me it was because of his temper.

Having D in my family history was always a taboo subject and I was not told about it until after I was dx'ed this year.

All along it was right in front of me and I never put two and two together.

My mom told me that her brother and her father died from complications due to type 1.

I remember when my uncle would come for a visit and he would have small glass vials of a clear liquid as well as a glass syringe with a large metal needle. I was told it was for his allergies.
    My uncle would become combative at times and go into the kitchen to get something to eat.

When Kelton is low he gets super quiet..When I go low I am nervous and I can't sit still..I was told that I got mad once when my husband tried to get me to eat candy, but I have not become combative, although there was one time I felt like I could have but somehow held myself together..

10. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

Once when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I got low while swimming. I ended up getting frustrated about something, and I bit my sisters friend on the arm! She never came back to our house! It's hard to think about what you did after it has already happened and your sugar is back up. I mean, I felt really bad for doing that to her.

11. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

My cousin was diagnosed in the early 70's. She was the youngest of 12 children. When she would go low, it would take a couple of her grown brothers to be able to get oj or soda down her to help bring up her blood sugar. She was a little bitty thing 4 or 5 years old, I guess the lows caused an adrinlin rush and made her seem stronger than she was.

She went into a diabetic coma at 11 yrs old and died , so that is what I remember most when I was diagnosed , the worry that I would die too.

12. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Had a very scary experience on Friday night when my parents came to visit. We went out to an awesome gluten free Italian restaurant and drove in seperate cars. On the way home, I saw DH pull over to the side of the road -- very busy Chicago highway under construction -- my mom was riding with him and had a horrible insulin reaction. I felt SO bad for her -- and I was SO thankful Carson was in my car and didn't witness it. We almost had to use glucagon through her jeans out on the open highway. She ended up barely being able to eat glucotabs. DH said it happened SO fast. They were having a nice conversation, then BAM she was totally out of it.

We figured that she probably did not take too much insulin at dinner -- but it was a very high fat dinner and the carbs were delayed absorption. The insulin hit her faster than the carbs. She is on MDI Lantus/Novolog.

I have been in lots of D horror episodes in my life, but I think this was the first for DH. I'm VERY proud of him for handling it so well!

13. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

These stories are all very scarey. Especially having to witness it as a child. I did witness a seizure once at the time I did'nt know what D was. I was 9 or 10 it was a little girl about my age. Her mom gave her oj that was a horrible experience and she was not my family.

14. shekov

shekov Approved members

Thanks for telling you stories.

I know it's not a real pleasant thing to bring up but I thought there had to be other people out there like me who had these experiences in their past that affect how they deal with D in the present.

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

15. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

I've thankfully never gotten combative while low, but I've hallucinated a few times. It must be INCREDIBLY difficult to deal with combative lows from a loved one with D and hard to internalize the fact that it really isn't their fault.

One time, I was on a road trip with a good friend of mine. We were going to stop to get gas soon, and I felt my blood sugar getting low. I realized that I didn't have anything sugary on me and the only thing she had was licorice. I HATE licorice, so I decided to wait it out since we were not far from a gas station/quickie mart area anyway. Then, I saw the Cat in the Hat running alongside the road. I decided to eat the licorice! ;)

16. KeltonsMom

I believe I would rather see the Cat in the Hat running down the road than to get all jittery and grumpy :D Although once when I was low I thought I heard music when there was none playing..

17. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I remember coming out a bad low, my husband had to call the permedics. I could see the lights from the space ship that I was on flashing. My bs was 34.

Another time, I was talking to my sister on the phone and I could see the walls of the house moving in and out. My sister is saying test your sugar and get some dr pepper NOW, she is on her cell talking to me and driving over .

18. shekov

shekov Approved members

It's so interesting to me to hear about how lows affect those of you with D.

My family never really talked about how it felt to go low other than the obvious ...shakey, sweaty, ...

I didn't know about hallucinations at all! Is it super creepy at the time or does it seem normal? Sorry, I find it fascinating.

19. KeltonsMom

During the time of a bad low, hearing things or seeing things that are not real at the time is not creepy for me...I am at the point where I am like huh? and do what I can to get my glucose within a normal range..Once it is over, I laugh about it and realize how powerful the mind is..When I am super low everything is out of focus..I was told that I once was talking to a houseplant and calling it a kitty :rolleyes: I do not remember that at all :eek:

20. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Melissa (9) had a very stubborn low at the soccer field a couple of weeks ago.

I was talking to a family that I had just met. Their daughter was on the opposing team. During half-time I saw her go do a BG check. :cwds: After the game, I went over to met her parents. They have a 2nd daughter dx'd T1 as well.

While we were getting acquainted, Melissa became irritated with me. I shrugged it off. In a few minutes, she was down right obnoxious. :mad: My husband caught my eye - touched his his left pointer finger to his right pointer and reached for Melissa's meter. The other parents smiled with that knowing kind of smile!

BG was low and it took over 60+ fast-acting carbs to get her back. She was refusing to drink or eat. Almost grabbed the glucagon.

An hour and a half later, she was a happy child once again.