- advertisement -

Pennsylvania Safe at School legislation has failed(expired)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylesdad, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

Though we have made great strides over this past legislative season 2009/2010, both current legislative bills concerning school diabetes care have expired.
    I am assured that the ADA is in current talks to re-introduce the bills again for the upcoming legislative year 2011/2012. Through some changes in wording and negotiation it appears we will have the support of the Pennsylvania school board assn. PSBA which will no doubt forward our progress on this growing school safety problem, but the publishing by the PA Department of Health's "School Medication guidelines" which basically states only a registered nurse can administer medication was a big blow giving schools who wish to do nothing the supporting documentation to do so.

Best Regards,
    Rob O'Donnell
    Kayle's Dad

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Rob, we have the same issues here in CT. Only a RN can administer glucagon and probably insulin. To that I say fine;) thats fine with me. Just make sure you have an RN here at ALL times while my kid is in the building, that includes all after school events and field trips too. Our schools will go broke having to do this. The whole thing is ridiculous!