- advertisement -

Pelikan Sun™ electronic lancing device?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rick, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Rick

Rick Approved members

I noticed Sarah mentioned the Pelican Sun in another thread. Is anyone else using it? Is it much better than the Accu-Chek Multiclix?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

Wow! $200 bux! Looks interesting, hopefully as technology gets better it will get smaller/cheaper? I'd like to know if anyone has tried it, too?

3. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

I was involved in this company's studies to develop this product, my personal opinion is that there is no real difference between their device and the Multiclix. I felt that the Pelikan Sun lancing device was more of an inconvenience than anything else. It is bulky and adds a lot to carry around when going out.

It is created to not be able to use the same needle twice, and the problem that I encountered was that sometimes it did not lance my finger, and then I had to use a new needle. The bigger problem was that I had a few errors when I was out and ended up running out of the needles in one of the disks, there is no was to reuse one in the event that you need to test and do not have a new disk to inset.

This is just my opinion, and this product may work for some people, but I feel that there is no noticeable difference between this and other products, so what is the point of spending $200 and having to carry around a large device.

4. taylor'smom

taylor'smom Approved members

We Tried...

We tried this product in a trial basis as well and although it did seem to make less "marks" on the fingers and my daughter said it did not hurt as much, it was too bulky for her to use and awkward to hold. We did not even bother with it after awhile. That said, I think if they make it smaller and more user friendly, it will be a worthwhile product.

5. semperwife

semperwife Approved members

Brandon tried this as well this summer. At first he said it felt about the same, maybe not quiet as painful, and it seemed to be helping, but I never saw a difference in his fingertips. I then got him the multiclix and he loved it, said it felt the same as the pelican but easier to use.

I don't feel it is worth $200 in my opinion.

6. Paige's Dad

Paige's Dad Approved members

Paige has been using the Pelikan since FFL last year as well, she says she hardly feels it at all and loves it. Worth $200? I don't think so, and the disks are $15 per pair, or 100 lancets.

On the trial version, you CAN reuse them, when the disk is done, you remove it and put it back in with the arrow in the original position and you can reuse the whole disk. We typically do that 3 or 4 times, that's why we haven't sent our trial one back yet. Still have lancets for it :D

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I agree with everyone else that the Pelikan is ridiculously expensive but I think that in our case it was worth every penny. Every kid is different, and every parent has to fight different fights in the war against D. In our case it was fingersticks. Nothing other than an entirely different, in this case non-spring loaded lancer, would have convinced Maddie to test on her fingertips. As many here are correct in pointing out, YDMV.