- advertisement -

Pediatric 505 Approved

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jun 12, 2015.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

ETA: I guess I'm being presumptuous that it's 505. It doesn't actually say that in the email. But it is an update and that's the only one I know was pending.

Look what popped up in my email this morning from the FDA:

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Recent Device Approvals: Dexcom G4 PLATINUM (Pediatric) Continuous Glucose Monitoring System [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]06/11/2015 [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]The FDA has recently approved the Dexcom G4 PLATINUM (Pediatric) Continuous Glucose Monitoring System to be marketed. The system is an externally-worn glucose sensor that continuously measures and displays glucose values. In addition to reporting glucose values every 5 minutes, the system reports trending information in real-time for up to seven days (the life of each sensor).
    This supplement updates the software in the pediatric version that calculates the glucose values from the sensor signal. The updated software has improved the accuracy of the system, primarily for glucose values less than or equal to 70 mg/dL. This allowed for the removal of performance warnings from the device receiver and labeling.

I hope this allows for remote updating like the adult update did.
    [​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I swear the 505 made my Dexcom less accurate. I regret doing the update.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We were "accidentally" sent a 505 replacement several weeks (months?) before we got our Bluetooth peds version. I believe the 505 was a teensy bit more accurate.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We had an adult 505 receiver for awhile (until it broke) and I found it much more accurate when looking at rising lows. But I worry most about rising lows when she's sleeping and now that nightscout (which I only use at night) shows raw data, I'm not as worried about it. Even if the dex shows a low number for 20 minutes straight, the raw data likely shows that the actual number it's reading is on the rise and that's all I care about.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm looking forward to this. We had the adult version and then when we got the Share we were sent the pediatric version (it was such a circus getting the Share, I didn't have any fight left in me to send it back and demand the adult version). Like others, the big difference I noticed was that it didn't get "stuck" low as easily.

I assume we will be able to remotely update.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Ditto. Especially the part about sending the peds version back.

With T1D, you definitely have to pick your battles. Because as time plods along, there just isn't enough energy remaining to fight them all. Sarah once told me something along the lines of "T1D is not a sprint. It's a marathon." I'm understanding this more and more.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

We scored the adult share a few months back and we love it. I bought Dexcom stock on it's performance. For us it's an amazing tool.

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Just got off the phone with Dexcom, who said that it has not yet announced plans to implement the pediatric upgrade, but that when it has, it will be a remote software update.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Glad to hear this because the endo's office refuses to write it for the adult so that we can get the 505. I really want that reduced lag time on rising lows.