advertisement

Pear and apple spread

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by cking, Sep 5, 2011.

1. cking

cking Approved members

Does anyone know if pear and apple spread is high or low GI? It's 100% fruit concentrate but don't know if that makes it different from just a whole apple, which is low.

2. cking

cking Approved members

Doesn't ANYONE know??...

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm not entirely sure what pear and apple spread is. Is it like a puree or jam typed consistency? I imagine that it's very high GI.

4. cking

cking Approved members

On the tub it says 100% fruit concentrate. If it was juiced it would be high wouldn't it but if it has the fibre still in would it be lower?

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

But does the fact that it's 100% fruit necessarily mean that the fibre is still there? I say that for two reasons:

1. If you take the skin off an apple and then press it, the product is still 100% fruit. That doesn't mean that it is the entire fruit, only that it contains nothing but fruit.

2. I'm not sure how the fruit has been processed to make this spread, but would the fibre necessarily hang around through that, even if the fibrous parts of the fruit were included? Surely if you blended an apple enough, even if you included the skin, the resulting mixture wouldn't be particularly high fibre.

So, I call high GI.