- advertisement -

Peanut butter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hrtmom3, Nov 17, 2010.

1. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Tim boluses for the peanut butter in his PB & J sandwiches. Is there anyone who doe NOT count the carbs for the peanut butter when having PB & J.
    We were told today that there was no need to bolus for the peanut butter.

2. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

We count everything. Haven't heard that we should not count peanut butter?

3. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We don't bolus for the peanut butter.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we've never bolused for the peanut butter. :) And Ian eats it every darn day.

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We don't usually count the peanut butter, but as we all know, YDMV.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Nope, never.

The one we use has 6g less 2g fiber for 2 T.

7. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

If my son were to have one small bite of peanut butter, we probably wouldn't count it. That said, he is a major PB freak, and usually eats it by the LARGE TABLESPOONFUL, so we do count the carbs.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I used to eat a ton of peanut butter because I was told it was a free food. It made me high. I might ignore peanut butter in a small amount if I just didn't want to take the time, since it's not that many carbs (I eat the kind with no added ingredients), but enough of just about anything will raise my blood sugar and needs to be counted.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

As with everything else D related, YDMV, but we never bolus for peanut butter, and Cameron also eats it almost every day. We also never bolus for things like ketchup and just a fraction for spaghetti sauce. These things just don't affect him. But again, YDMV.... :cwds:

10. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I don't have to bolus for PB, but I do for ketchup, but that may be because I eat a pretty larger amount.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

if it has carbs we bolus for it. The PB we currently use has 9 grams of carbs, not a free food for us.

12. 321

321 Approved members

I would say it is better to count peanut butter the same as counting sauce, the total carb count would then vary the more or less was eaten. I just feel it's a good habit to get into counting everything.

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

While I agree that the overall carb count in a sandwich is likely to be fairly minimal, I have to admit that I still scratch my head over those that ignore what are clearly carbs. I am completely baffled how it just couldn't make, at least, somewhat of a difference. I am positive that if I ignored the 5-6g CHO on 2 slices of 8g CHO bread per that I would see an excursion - not that it wouldn't cause a spike either way. It's my personal belief that what is more likely is that 5g here or there doesn't make a huge difference overall or, more likely, a 5g sugar spike is more noticeable than a fat PB spike.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

With my son, we have found that certain foods are more like "free" foods to him in that if we were to count the carbs and bolus for them, he'd drop like crazy. As I said before, YDMV.... :cwds:

15. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We usually add 3gC to the sandwich (if it's PB&J) to cover both.

If he just wants a spoon a peanut butter, I measure it & bolus for it much more accurately.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We do not bolus for PB.

I think the reason why we don't bolus for PB is that the fat and protein makes the BG rise so very slow that a bolus for it makes him go low. And doing a combo for that small number of carbs would make so little difference that it's not worth it. Basically, for us, the rise from PB gets lost in the "static" (credit to wilf for that word) of the rest of the day.

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

ah yes, I was going to say the same thing but I didn't quite know how to phrase it.

Because Ian eats a PBJ every day we've just learned to accommodate that by the way his basals and lunch ratios are set. It's not something we've done deliberately, but something that has happened because of the PBJ love affair.

18. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

We were told for small amounts - less than 2 T of both peanut butter and ketchup - not to worry about it. It hasn't seemed to matter too much for us, but I can see how it would for some kids.

19. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

We DO bolus for peanut butter.

20. swellman

swellman Approved members

The "static" thing makes sense. I guess it's also possible that we don't "correct" for PB and other foods as well by calling an audible at bolus time. I think I was getting hung up over the "free" part and, as we all know, there's no thing as a free lunch. Even if we decide to drop back on our bolus at meal time we will have to catch it later one way or another - in the form of a correction or temp basil.

Personally, I think it's confusing to some to call food "free" food for several reasons. We were told the same thing at Dx but it really caused me some very serious confusion since I didn't fully understand the mechanism (not that I do now). I think the educators should stop using the word "free" but maybe they mean it in a comforting way - free meaning you don't have to give your child a shot.

As someone else mentioned, when pumping, even though it's obviously easier I think it's a very good practice to count all carbs and make adjustments at bolus depending on the type of food and the absorption/conversion profile. Doing this will help when even more flexible programs are available from the pumps.