- advertisement -

PDM problems

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danismom79, Jul 10, 2010.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We've been pumping for almost a year now, and just recently started having issues with the PDM. First, we couldn't turn it on sometimes without taking out the batteries and replacing them. Then yesterday, when my daughter turned on the PDM, all the color was gone. The screen is very faded, text is grey instead of black, and there are grey lines going across. It looks like a newspaper that's been smudged. We can see the BG, but the commands at the bottom are almost impossible to read.

We're getting a replacement today, and the explanation I was given was that some series of the PDM don't like to be turned on with the test strip. :confused: So for those of us who are used to putting the test strip in first, I guess we should get in the habit of turning the PDM on with the button first.

2. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Didn't know that, guess I will start turning it on before I insert the strip.

Thanks

3. etringali

etringali Approved members

sounds like a load of hooey. We have had trouble with screens losing pixels and have had pdm's replaced, and most recently we had trouble with the battery connections falling out and just got a replacement. it happens.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad they are replacing it!

5. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

So glad you posted this. This is what happened to us on occasion, too. About a month ago when we had a pod failure, I called Insulet customer service to report it/get a new pod. On the call, we had the screen go out and had to pull out/replace the batteries and the customer service rep said that it shouldn't act that way. They promptly replaced the pdm. Our new one seems to have battery issues, too - sometimes it shows that there is almost no 'juice' left and then the next time we use it, it shows that it has half the battery life left. And it sometimes turns itself off, too. We got our first pdm in December 2009 and just got the new one last month. Wonder if it's a manufacturing problem?

6. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We just had our PDM replaced because of battery issues...The PDM wouldn't always turn on unless we took the batteries out and then put them back in. Talking to the rep she said that this has become an issue and they are trying to figure out if it's the batteries, the battery connection or the internal battery. So if this is happening with your PDM, I would call and have it replaced - they were very good about it.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I'm wondering if they tried to send the replacement to my job, that's where the pods get delivered. I'll have to wait until Monday to find out. It's so bad now that I can't see the commands at the bottom at all unless I tilt the PDM. I think we'll be flying blind outside. I don't always remember which buttons to push for functions I don't use often.