advertisement

Pasta

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by Williamsville mommy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Does pasta raise bsg later in the day/night?
    My daughter had pasta for dinner, insulined her for it....had a normal fairly quiet evening and before bed she was 67..,,, woke this morning 231, just wondering if this is a possibility??? Thanks

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Dear Mommy, that hasn't happened to us. If it was a very fatty sauce that could raise bs. We always count the sauce as 10 grams of carb. :)

3. magickalmeadows

magickalmeadows Approved members

What did you do when she was 67 before bed? I assume you treated the low... then what was her number following treatment?

We were taught to always give protein after raising a bedtime low, in order to sustain the blood sugar through the night, and avoid a middle of the night low.

Do you still check at 2 am?

I've also heard that if the BS goes low in the night, the liver will kick out a supply of glucagen, but this is not an exact measurement based on what the body actually needs, so it tends to over compensate, resulting in a morning high.

I wouldn't expect the pasta to be the culprit. But perhaps there could be an issue with whether there was enough protein and fat in the meal to accompany the pasta, thereby sustaining the BS beyond the postprandial check.

Also, exercise/high levels of physical activity during the day can cause delayed lows in the night... another reason why the protein snack at bed helps... as well as the protein snack at the point of high activity, too.