- advertisement -

Pasta. Or why I hate Italy.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, May 4, 2009.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I can't get pasta right. With the CGMS I can make adjustments to keep it from being a total disaster, but I'm up all night doing it, and I would never be able to explain it to someone else who was doing his care.

Tell me how you dose for it. And tell me how similar/dissimilar it is to the way you dose for high fat foods.

Thanks in advance!

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

good thing you're in Holland, right?? LOL.

I don't really consider pasta to be high fat, but we do need to extend the bolus out for about 6 hours or so and try to limit the quantities he eats. (60/40 for 5 or 6 hours works good for us for pasta) and an effectively counting the carbs for the type of pasta too. Now, if you add in cheese sauce all bets are off, but just pasta with sauce is not really so bad for us.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Thanks, Michelle. I don't consider "normal" pasta high fat either, but both require extended doses, so I was just curious whether people dosed similarly for them or not.

For us, it appears that pasta absorbs more slowly in Jack's system than high fat, because the one thing I have figured out is that with high fat he needs about 75% up front, whereas with pasta it's looking more like 50-60%. It's how much to give as the extended portion (with high fat, the total dose exceeds 100% of the carbs, so I'm assuming that could happen with pasta for us too, but am not sure), and how long to extend it.

Of course in restaurants, I'm never sure how sugary the sauce is, or the exact carb count of the noodles, so it's kind of a crapshoot anyway. :rolleyes:

4. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I tried something different with pasta recently. I made fresh pasta dough and made ravioli. Reese's blood sugar was more stable than with dried pasta. I wonder if it is the amount of egg protein and fat slowing down the flour??? I'm not sure. We have a pasta roller machine (hand crank) and it was really fun to make with the kids helping. I haven't used that machine in at least 5 years.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We really like Barilla Plus pasta in the yellow box. http://www.barillaus.com/Home/Pages/PLUS_information.aspx
    Combo bolus, 4-5 hrs at 50/50 seems to work well and I think the carb factor is .23 so it's not low carb but it tastes great and doesn't spike her as much as regular pasta. We have it at least once a week.;)

6. LJM

LJM Approved members

With pasta we actually will see a rapid low if we do not extend the bolus and limit the amount of insulin up front. I would guess this is because the carbs are slower to digest. We have done (with spaghetti and red sauce only) a 30-70 and a 40-60 over 4 hours and it worked pretty well. We did not get the initial low and we did not get the later high blood sugar.

7. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Karla,
    Actually pasta was invented in China, and later adopted in Italian cuisine, so you're a bit off there.:p

How about high fiber pasta?

8. MLH

MLH Approved members

Pasta

We LOVE pasta in my house. Here is what we have found works for us.

First, bolus 20 minutes before eating.

Limit the amount eaten. If I weigh the pasta cooked, I don't give her more than 80grams. (I give her two 40gram servings-then she feels like she is having seconds) Sometimes, I only cook half the box so none of us can have seconds.

I only use whole grain or multi grain pasta (Healthy Harvest, or Barilla in the yellow box)

Finally, don't overcok the pasta. I cook mine al dente. It is cooked, but not mushy or too soft. If I "overcook" it forget it. The numbers go crazy.

I watch the numbers carefully after dinner with the cgms and make the appropriate insulin adjustments.

Good Luck!

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

For Ian, we don't see the same "extra" insulin needed to cover the carbs the way we do with high fat foods, but YDMV. Maybe a little bit more, but not the incredible amounts like we see with fat. And i agree with you on the percentages - with high fat we need closer to 80% up front. if I give more than 60% up front with pasta he goes low right after. You could always try something conservative like 5% more in insulin on the 2nd bolus..

10. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

This was our Italy (China) night, last night.

1 cup
    Pasta (regular was all we had in cabinet)
    Grilled chicken
    Sauce (from the can)
    topped with cheese as a casserole.

Garlic butter bread sticks

Starting Bg 100
    4 units after eating

1 hour later cake (Manning made it all by himself so I couldn't deny him), no BG check, 3 units given.

BG at 11:30 (3 hours after last insulin) 96
    BG at 3:30am 175
    BG at 7:00am 105.

For us on MDI, I wonder if the two boluses helped, even though the second one was for additional carbs. I wonder if the first dose was working and the cake helped keep him from dropping to low then when the second dose kicked in it worked on the pasta?

I wish we has a CGM.

11. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

We had pasta last night. I did not over cook the pasta (I thought I should had cooked it longer) bolused 40 carbs with 30% up front and the rest over 2 hrs. She went down to about 65 but I left her there and then the BG went up through the night. She rode the night around 140-160. This is higher then she normally is during the night (usually 70-100) but I did not correct her. She woke up 101 this morning (usually awakes at 65-70). I consider this a success.

12. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

We buy the dreamfields pasta.. it only has 5g of digestable carbs... it taste great and you can get it in the health food area of your grocery store.. my son loves pasta and he loves this.. they also have a website

Dreamsfieldsfods.com... check it out

13. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

My $.02

Karla,

DD doesn't eat pasta yet, so I don't have anything productive to offer (though it looks like others have given some good tips). So instead of something productive, I have this:

"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

Food for thought from the Austin Powers franchise... :D