- advertisement -

Pasta and basmati rice-how can I avoid that delayed spike

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Susanne, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Now that we have the pump basics down I want to find a way to better bolus for whole wheat pasta and basmati rice. For pasta, I usually do a combo bolus 80/20 for 2 hours but Sophia still spikes between 4 and 6 hours later (mid to high 200s). For Basmati we pre-bolus (complete amount) and the same thing happens (and this is for recipes with small or moderate amount of fat/meat; high fat pasta meals are a complete disaster!:()

How are you handling these? Temp basals? How much? How long for?

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

For pasta/rice we do a 50/50 split over 2 hours, and so far it's worked well for us. :)

3. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Is the 50/50 split working for any rice/pasta type? Do you use a specific type of rice/pasta?

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Pasta we combo 50/50 over like 4 hours, longer if it's a fatty sauce. Rice we struggle with, but for now were trying a straight bolus and it's better ... next time I'll probably do a 2 hr combo of 80/20 and over bolus a bit. As always, YDMV:eek:

5. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

My son does a 70/30 split for an hour and a half for most everything. He started with a two hour split but ended up with the hour and a half. This definitely is a YDMV, what works for one may not work for another. On fatty foods he does the 70/30 and then does a temp basal for 6 hours @ 120%.

6. serge28

serge28 Approved members

Last night we ate pasta and , as it was suggested from the previous post, bolus for everything upfront and increased the basal an hour later up to 95% for the next 6 hours. We had 80 in 1 hour after dinner and after that he was in 120 ? 130 range until the middle of the night (6 hours after dinner) and then he spiked around 180 (before we got 230-250 all night along and we couldn?t bring it down).

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Rice doesn't seem to affect me as much if I prepare it the Persian way, soak, rinse, soak, rinse, etc over a few hours. Pasta, depends on what I eat with it, always a combo/square wave bolus, usually 2-6 hours

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Interestingly enough, when she eats the rice and what kind also play a role in how we bolus. Japanese rice eaten at breakfast and lunch is bolused upfront, no spikes; same for basmati rice. For dinner, we just wait til she finishes eating or half an hour after she start eating, then bolus the full amount. I count basmati rice and Japanese rice the same. Jasmine rice and other Asian varieties I'm familiar with, carb count is higher and we have to pre-bolus.

Pasta "hits" her 3 hours after she eats it. What kind of sauce she eats it with also makes a difference. So, ideally, we have to bolus pasta 50% upfront. Can't even do a dual wave or she'll tend to go low an hour later if we do 50/50. But if I give anything less than 50% she'll go too high. Anyway, so ideally we bolus 50%.. then start the square wave an hour after she eats. Hard to remember all that most times so we just.. umm.. wing it I guess.