- advertisement -

Part-Time Caregivers Guide to Kids with Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tricia22, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

As many of you know, I have had this pet project in the works for a few years now. I wrote a "Part-Time Caregivers' Guide to Kids with Type 1 Diabetes" but never did anything with it. I have wanted it "out there" where people can see, use, benefit from it, but never knew how to do that. Publishing seemed odd since it's so short, and can be expensive... I mailed it to a bunch of pediatric endocrinology offices and diabetes clinics but never got any responses back from anyone.
    Then, talking to my Uncle about all of this and wanting to do SOMETHING with it, he recommended making a blog of it - that way it's FREE, it's OUT THERE, and there can be an interactive component to it where people can comment, ask questions, etc. through the blog.
    SO.... I'm starting a blog of this guide...

www.caregiversguidetotype1diabetes.wordpress.com

Not much there yet as I have stuff I need to transfer over from my computer at home to the site (and I'm not at home at the moment) but I will be getting this baby up and running with the guide on there hopefully over the next week or so.
    Feel free to share this site, and any comments, recommendations, edits, questions, etc. are always welcome.
    Hoping having this out there will help families to be able to resume a more "normal" life post-diagnosis. If this can help ANYONE to be more comfortable caring for someone with diabetes, or help any families to be able to go on a date night and leave the D kiddo home for a bit, so they can have "me time", I'll be a happy girl.
    Enjoy!
    Thanks!

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

Wonderful Tricia and good luck.
    Ali

3. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

This sounds like a great resource! I am planning to train a summer sitter in a couple weeks, and feeling rather overwhelmed at the prospect. We haven't left my son with anyone since he was diagnosed 6 months ago, simply because it is too difficult to train someone for a one-time deal.

4. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

What a wonderful thing for you to share all your handwork and information with the board! I'm looking forward to sharing your blog with grandparents. Thanks so much!

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Thanks for this Tricia! I have been looking for care plans online for a packet I am preparing for DD's non-D camp adventures this summer. At the moment, I am looking for a quick 1 page guide to the glucagon. I have found multi page doc, but no quick 1 pager outline with pics. (I am just going to make one of my own.)

Wordpress is super easy to use. I do web design and have worked on WP for sometime. If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Thanks and good luck!

6. Tricia22

I have the blog pretty much up and running... still playing with the format and some other things, but the information is all there.
    Hope someone can get some use out of my little endeavor.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi Tricia, hope Indiana is treating you well.

I took a quick look and I think you have a lot of good information in there that should be very helpful to people. Nice job!

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well done Tricia! :)

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is very well done. Congrats.

10. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Very well thought out! Great job!!

11. Tricia22

Thanks everyone!
    And please feel free to share on FB; twitter; e-mail; etc. if there are people you think may benefit from my guide.