- advertisement -

parents wont let me!!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by diamondback688, Nov 22, 2006.

1. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

ok...so ive got this problem...not really a problem, just a big annoyance...i turn 18 in 4 months and my parents wont even let me get my learners permit...in florida, you have to have your learners permit for a full year before you can ge your regular license...i mean, they let me get a job, but i cant drive?? it doesnt make any sense to me...im on a pump, i have great control...it just doesnt make any sense...any help would be much appreciated...

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

As a parent, one very important rule that I had was frequent glucose monitoring, which I define as at least 10 times per day. Also, checking before driving is an absolute requirement.

From a diabetes perspective, that was the only requirement before driving.

Of course, parents have other concerns that can be unrelated to diabetes.

3. diamondback688

i test probably a dozen times a day, maybe more...

4. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Sometimes us parents are just like that. My mom told me I could get my DL until I was 18, and that is just what happened. My kids cannot have theirs unless they meet my requirements.

Maybe if you were to sit down and ask them their fears, then try to help them see it your way. If it doesn't pan out at least you are only 4 months away from being 18. Good luck. I hope you can help them to see your side of it.
    Jamie

5. diamondback688

ive talked to them about it probably twice in the 2 years since i coulda gotton it...the conversation always ends with me getting really pissed and spending the next 6 hours in my room alone...the last time i talked to them about it was probably 6 months or so ago...i havent brought it up since...its just not worth me getting mad and then going to work and getting fired because i was still mad at them...

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Maybe you shouldn't get mad when you talk to them. I know parents sometimes can be impossible, but being almost fresh out of my teen years and now into parenthood, I remember the best and worst of both worlds. I now know that as a parent, I don't let my daughter do whatever she wants, especially if she gets mad at me for saying no.

Also, this isn't watching Beauty and the Beast that you're getting mad at (my daughter's almost 5), this is driving. Lives are at stake here.

When my daughter comes up to me and asks for her license and I will say no, not because I don't want her to, but to see her reaction. If she pulls a hissy fit on me, starts banging doors and spends the next 6 hours in her room, I'll know that she's not prepared for it so my decision will be a good one. I would know that she's not responsible enough to go out on the street with a car, get mad at the first person that cuts her off and then totals my car.

But, if she comes up to me and asks for her license, I say no and then says, but dad, I'm almost 18 now, and basically tell me what you said in your first post, I'd probably consider it. Hope my comment helps.

7. margaret

margaret Approved members

I'm sorry your having such a problem with your parent. Do you take good care of your needs and manage your D well? If so, why not point our how responsibe you have been with your care and you understand how important it is to test your sugar levels before driving. Good luck!
    Margaret

8. diamondback688

i take great care of myself...as for pointing out how responsible i am, i tried that a few months ago, and it didnt work...

9. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

What about your doc? What is his oppinion? Couldn't you enlist his help?

10. diamondback688

i havent talked to him about it yet...

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Where in FL are you? We have a monthly pump support group in Boca Raton and it may be helpful to attend with your parent. It's facilitated by Dr. Wendy Satin Rapaport - a psychologist whose practice focuses on diabetes.

Or, you could contact her to make an appointment with her to have some family sessions with her.

www.diabetespsyche-drwendy.com

12. diamondback688

i live on the other side of the state, near bartow...

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Sorry I don't know anyone on your side of the state. Good luck.

14. Sami

Sami Approved members

I've had my license for almost a year now, and I have never once had a diabetes related problem driving and I don't have picture perfect control either. Smothering you is not the same as protecting you. At some point you will need to be driving, living on your own, taking care of yourself, and it seems that the best time to prepare yourself for that, is now, while you have the added support of your family around you.
    I know that you probably really want your license just to have it, because it's a right of passage, and will make life a lot more fun and convenient.
    Testing 12 times a day is above and beyond, and you deserve to be treated like a responsible and healthy person; which is what you are.
    Diabetes is not a disability when it is controlled. And you seemed to have it well under control.
    Maybe you should explain to your parents that driving isn't just about driving to you; it's about taking on the normal responsibilites of a normal person, and that withholding your right to learn is similar to treating you like a handicapped person.
    Unless making you wait has something to do with something other than your diabetes, I think you should keep on trying. It's important.

15. cassandra

cassandra Approved members

it has been a while since i got my license (umm... 10 years) and i went through a long period of bad control. but i have always been a really responsible driver, never had a problem with a low bloodsugar while driving, and to this day have not been pulled over once either. my parents never said a thing about it when i went to get my license. but every parent is different...

yeah, you have to find out exactly what the problem with you getting your license is with them first. see if there is anything you can actually do to ease their worries, or if they are just being overprotective parents. find out, if not now, when. are they strict in other areas with you as well, or is this an isolated case?

16. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

I am 20 and have been driving cars since 15, and driving ambulances lights and siren since I was 18, so suffice it to say I do more driving than most, and voluntarily accept a much higher risk of having a collision driving around lights and siren, compared to the average civilian driver. I have had diabetes 18 years, and have never had a driving-related incident.

I always test before meals, and before driving. I think whoever tests at least 12 times a day is excessive and unnecessary for the sole purpose of being a safer driver. Having diabetes doesn't make someone any more of a hazard. There are people than CAN drive, and there are people that CANT drive diabetes or not.

So tell your folks that if I am 20 and can drive ambulances and fire engines with diabetes, you should have a fair shake at 17 at getting your civilian drivers license provided you follow their rules and ride/drive with them when it suits them and try to be as agreeable as possible.

17. diamondback688

im actually 18 now, and i could just go to the DMV and get my license and i wouldnt need there permission or anything...which im seriously thinking about doing...

18. MarcusMan54

MarcusMan54 Approved members

well dang, you're almost 18.
    Just go up to your parents and be like, "hey, i'm turning 18 in 4 months, and i can do whatever i want then, and i'm GONNA get my license, why not let me get a head start."