- advertisement -

Parents, share your stories about D getting better...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Dec 8, 2009.

1. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

My DS never complains about the shots or finger pricks. He also likes to impress his friends by being able to prick his finger and not flinch. He likes that part of being different. His basketball coach at our church is also diabetic so that had made it cool for Will.:cool:

2. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

Zo? used to cry quite often at site changes (pump start at 20 months), but recently it's like she's realizing that we need to do it, so most of the time, before them, she points at herself and says "grande fille" ("big girl"), and then we KNOW she won't cry that time. I'm very proud of her, and it makes things a lot easier for my husband and I :).

Things really get easier as time goes by, I find.

3. Rhonda

Rhonda Approved members

Lilly was dx'd at 17 months she was already in dka before we knew she had d she has alway's been a trooper never cried she would say ow she never has cried during site change's finger pokes etc. Guess we have been lucky

4. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Jen
    We were lucky Alli took it all like a champ. But the stinkin blood draws still freak her out and IV's too.

Anyway the RN at the hospital gave Alli bubbles to blow when they put in her IV. Maybe your sister could try that. Have her turn her head and blow bubbles while she gets her shots and finger pricks. Poor little sweetie. Hugs to her and her parents!!! It is just so hard!

5. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

DD was diagnoised in Sept and is 8 so a bit of a different age group. She was terrified of everything at first. Finger pokes and injections (done by other people) sent her into fits of screaming. In the hospital we almost had to restrain her several times for a finger poke. And when we got home, one night I remember her screaming in the bathroom how she wished she would just die - it was such an awful thing to watch her go through.
    I think we may be a bit different in our attitude towards D - as a family we try to keep it very positive, we use humor and rewards to get over hurdles. I tend to lean less towards the clinical and more to the colorful, and turn everything into a little game or make believe to take the sting out of it and diffuse the stress. DD often will say 'I'm so glad I have D because of XYZ!' Yeah it sucks but it's a part of who she is - and we want her to love all the parts of her even if they don't work so well.
    Shortly after comming home we started an incentive program, she'd get stickers for a book mark for D accomplishments and could trade in the book mark for a reward or a prize. I even had small little toys wrapped up and sitting a pile as encourage ment. We started small a sticker for each accomplishment - and build up to larger ones. I know some parents are against this idea (and I know that some parents of little kids use chocolate chips as a poke reward instead of stickers) but for us it worked very well. And it encouraged her to be involved in her D management to the point where we weened her off the reward system for that as she can now do her own pokes and injections. Also I think it helped that the endo had her give me and him injections. Its become normal.

6. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Different age group here as well but being dx'd at the age of 16 was still a bitter pill for Justin to swallow. Even though it's something that he's adapted well to he still deep down inside hates it but he knows that he doesn't have much of a choice other than do his best to take care of himself so with that said, his daily D care is a normal routine for him. He also knows that getting great A1C's = happy parents and having happy parents is a lot better than grumpy nagging parents.:)

7. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

my daughter started hating shots after some days of diagnosis.we tried everything a tv show,a bribe,books ,stickers but she started to hate shots so much that the stress started to bother me and my husband much more than it should..i used to be very very sad for the whole days...
    then we went for pump and she is really liking it...poking has become less painful with multiclix...
    hopefully thinks will get even better with time..