- advertisement -

Parents/relatives with T1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jade, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Shutterflymomma

Shutterflymomma Approved members

I'm Type 1, My Mom was Type 1, Her Dad was Type 2, and his mom was D (not sure if it was 1 or 2) and I don't have a clue beyond that. I know that she lost a set of twins, also in the early 1900's, so who knows. on my hubby's side his Mom is Type 2 (I think-is that right AML?) and His Dad's mom is Type 2. My hubby is borderline (or what is it they call it now? Prediabetic?). So far neither of my boys or his daughter have been dx'd, but I keep a very close eye on my boys. I'm rather paranoid. That whole old wives tale about skipping a generation is hogwash!

3. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Paternal Grandfather was Type 1 and a cousin on same side was dx at age 4. Ryan was the third one dx with Type 1.

4. Leece

Leece Approved members

Family

My Sister is Type I. Great Uncle died at age 10 from Type I. Poor Family couldn't get treatment. Daughter is the youngest though for type I. Lots of Type 2

5. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Our son is the only one on either side of the family. Not one relative (as far back as we can research) ever had D.

6. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

In addition to Emma:

I have type 1.
    Amy's dad (deceased) had type 1.
    Amy's aunt has type 1.
    One of my first cousins has type 1,
    and last but not least, my dad's beloved schnauzer, Daffy, had D.

7. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Anna is the first with Type 1 that we know of. My MIL has RA and my husband had thyroid cancer.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm the first. And I have a huge extended family and nobody's adopted so I can tell you for sure that my two parents, four brothers, three uncles, three aunts, six cousins, four grandparents, eleven siblings of my grandparents, etc never had T1 diabetes. Interestingly, one of my mother's cousins married a guy with T1, but he's not my blood relative, and their kids and grandkids don't have T1.

A few elderly family members have had t2, but none have been on insulin so I don't think there's any chance it was slow onset t1.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

m's paternal aunt was diagnosed at age 10.

10. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

My DH has Type 1 and so does his sister. He was dx at age 24 (16 years ago) and his sister was dx at age 12. Now our oldest DD has Type 1 and our youngest DD has lots of symptoms - not diagnosable yet . . .

On my side - my dad is borderline type2 (that is what he says his doctor says), and one of his sisters has Type 1 - she was 19 when he was born and he says she has been on insulin ever since he can remember (she will be 90 this year). I believe that 2 of his other siblings have type 2 as well. None that we know of on my moms side of the family.

11. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

My dh was dx'ed with T1 at age 19.
    Connor was dx'ed at age 6.

They are the only T1's on either side of the family.

12. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

2 or 3 of my mother's uncles and 3 of her cousins had T1. Then nobody else until Bozzie. I believe my husband's grandmother also had T1. She was on insulin and suffered from neuropothy - the classic foot amputation of the past (not that it never happens now, but I think it was more common before treatment improved.) Not trying to be alarmist, just explaining why I suspect T1. Nobody knows for sure. Nobody in mine or dh's generation has had T1.

We do have tons of other autoimmune though - my mom, I and both my daughters have Hashimoto's. My oldest daughter also has Lupus. All those uncles, etc. had Hashi's as well as D. My sis and my mom have another autoimmune disorder that I don't know the name of. Involves the scalp and scabbing. Ew, I know. :) But it's autoimmune is the point.

13. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

FIL we think is LADA as he started on pills and is now on insulin, definitely not type 2, but they think could be type 3

My mom, aunts, cousins, grandma had or have lupus, my sister and I both have graves.
    autoimmune just run in the family

14. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

My Uncle on my Dad's side has Type 1(diagnosed as an adult though).

We do have other autoimmune disease on my dad's side(rheumatoid arthritis and celiac etc).

No other history of Type 1. My Grandpa has Type 2(he was just diagnosed a few years ago at 80, and I say his type 2 is more age...as he is healthy and active otherwise), my grandmother and one uncle does suffer from hypoglycemia. I think all pre-cursors for type 2.

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Maternal side, my grandfather and 2 of his sisters with Type 1
    Paternal side, a great aunt had type 1, my grandmother was type 2

Before that who knows, since, just me

16. smithf1

smithf1 Approved members

I do, as well as both of my boys. My youngest DS was the first dx with type 1. The others came much later. Cannot find any other type 1 in my family, but we have a couple with celiac and other autoimmune disorders.

17. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Dh has type 1 dx'd at 6 months old..
    My grandmother had type 1
    And of course Cayden..

As for I know this is all the Type 1's in our family, but we have tons of them with Type 2..

18. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

My husband's uncle (His dad's brother) was diagnosed with Diabetes in his 40s and is now in his 60s. He says he is not sure if it is Type 1 or Type 2 but I suspect it is Type 1 or LADA. He has always been slender and has a very active lifestyle and he has been on an insulin pump for years.

My MIL says she had a distant cousin on her side of the family that was diagnosed with D as a child.

Only a couple Type 2s, no T1s, on my side of the family that I know of.

19. candise

candise Approved members

I have 2 sisters with daughters with type 1 as well. No family history before us.
    Candise

20. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

On my dad's side, I had an uncle that was T1, he had a daughter that was T1 (my cousin)--they were both dx'd in the 60's and 70's, by the 80's they were both dead.

On my mom's side, I had a little cousin she was 5 or 6, dx'd too late, by the time they got her to a hospital and found out what was wrong, she too passed away.

There are lots of Type 2's on both sides of the family.

Then on my dh's side, his dad was T1, he was dx'd when he was 19, he did not take care of himself, he died of a stroke when he was 52.

The very next year, our son was dx'd, he was five--as you can imagine I freaked just a bit (read--I was a raving lunatic). Thank heaven's there is this site.:cwds: