- advertisement -

Parents/relatives with T1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jade, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jade

jade Approved members

Hi, I was wondering how many of the parents here have T1 themselves? or have a close relative with T1 (aunt, uncle, sibling, parents, grandparents)?

Thanks.

2. gotinsulin

gotinsulin Approved members

None here. Colleen was the first.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

my grandmother was dxd in her 60s and was always on insulin from dxd, not sure if it was type 1 or later stage type 2. An aunt of mine was blind from diabetes again not sure if it was type 1 or 2

4. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

Nope, Luke is the first in our family.

5. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Two cousins (to my daughter - our niece and nephew) from the same family.

6. MichS

MichS Approved members

NOah is the first. A few type 2's, but no other type 1's.

7. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

My mom, My Uncle, My Grandmother, my Nephew, also had 2 great aunts that were Type1. 1 aunt was gestational
    And Of course Phoenix

8. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

My father and my husbands grandmother

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

No type 1 here. However there are a number of people with other auto-immune diseases on my side of the family. Lupus, JRA, thyroid disease and food allergies galore.

10. sariana

sariana Approved members

My dad was diagnosed as Type 1 in his late 20's/early 30's.... His dad became type 2 I believe later in life. My grandmother on my mom's side was Type 2 as well.

Other then that, it is my youngest that is type 1..

11. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

No type 1, but A LOT of pancreatic cancer on my husband's side. His father, grandfather and several cousins all died fairly young. It seems to be almost 50/50, especially with the men. In each generation there are two males and one gets it and dies between 50 and 60 years old, the other lives into his 90's. My husband is participating in some genetic screening.

We'll see what lies ahead for us.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I always thought my Grandmother had type 2...But, now I'm not so sure, she was 40 at dx'd, very sick and always took shots. She was always heavy as far as I could remember, but later I found out not at dx'd. So, I'm not sure:confused: Did they have pills for type 2 back then? Anyone know? She just passed away last year at 92:confused:

My mom's half sister's grandaughter also has Type 1.

13. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

Apart from Anastacia...

Yes, my younger brother was diagnosed at 11, my FIL was diagnised at 11, my Great grandma was diagnosed at ? years old, and her son was fairly young at diagnosis. She also had a few children prior to him that died in infancy due to unknown causes, one was a set of twins. :(

14. kassie

kassie Approved members

I've had T1 for 22 years, and my son was dxd in december. His dad has had T1 for 41 years.

Beyond that - it's nowhere. None of our cousins, aunts, uncles... anywhere. Though I do have a cousin's cousin with T1 - but he's adopted!

K

15. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

Neither my husband or I have D but there's a lot of it on both sides. My mom, his mom and both of their moms:( Not to mention aunts and uncles, there are so many on both sides. Poor Mike...he was doomed from the start.

16. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

None here - although my father had a couple siblings who died at an early age - 1930's, very rural area, little medical care. It make me wonder if it might have been D.

17. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

My grandmother was diagnosed with D after my mom was born and she was well into her 40's. She passed away when I was around 7 but I always remember her doing shots. No one knows if it was T1 or T2.:confused: That is it on either side of our family.

18. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

No one in either of our families have T1. Of course, no one in our family has clubfoot either (which can be genetic) and my youngest was born with one. Apparently my family is all about firsts.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My fathers mother was diabetic and was always thin, so i am guessing that she was T1 but do not know for sure. alot of T2 on my moms side. BUT, on my husbands side there are three or four autoimmune diseases, lupus,RA and something else.

20. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My husband's sister was dxd at 8 with Type 1. Another sister has a son dxd at 3. My husband's father was dxd type 2 at 40 and never did improve until they discontinued pills and started insulin. We believe now that he has LADA, which is basically slow onset type 1 dxd in adulthood.

So my DDs grandfather, aunt and cousin on my husband's side.