- advertisement -

parents outside of Canada and US - any experience with the Freestyle Libre?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Dec 29, 2014.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hi folks, a relative from Germany contacted me about this device which is now available there. It is not a CGM, but has CGM-like features and a considerably lower price tag. It looks very interesting, esp.for folks using MDI. :cwds:

Lots of reviews available on-line, such as:
    http://www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk/2014/09/abbott-freestyle-libre-review-bg.html
    http://thetangerinediabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/libre-fgm-v-enlite-cgm.html
    http://missjengrieves.com/2014/09/15/freestyle-libre-review-a-gamechanger-for-diabetes-management/
    http://ninjabetic1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/freestyle-libre-downloaded-data.html

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

They are not taking any new customer orders in Europe it has been that popular. I think it works out about £150 startup (including monitor and two sensors) and £50 per sensor thereafter, but they last two weeks.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

How do you know they're not taking orders?

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Because I have tried to get one.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

How recently? I have a relative in Germany who said no problem getting on the website and getting prices..

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

andiej has one. She joined CWD soon after me last year. She lives in England I believe. A few weeks ago I asked her about it and she sounded rather impressed.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have one.. its really cool. only a 2 piece system - no transmitter - so you can't get sent alarms, but rather you collect data by scanning the sensor. It does give trends and stores 8 hours of data which you can then see on the graph.

You can only buy them in Europe and the UK, and only if you subscribed early.. The demand was so high they outstripped demand. They say new people will be able to subscribe in early 2015. Even those who have subscribed are limited to ordering 2 sensors per fortnight.

The meter/reader is also a bg and ketone meter (uses the Precision Xtra or Freestyle Optium strips), but you can't calibrate the system.. the sensor is completely independent of the finger pricks. You can only use the onboard calculator, which works exactly like a pump bolus calculator, after a fingerprick, not from a scanned reading.

They have a 2 week life but they can't be restarted. Once the sensor is scanned by the reader it can't be used again. They are being rendered useless by people walking through library scanners and university scanners so a lot of work to do on them yet.

Anna is using the Libre system because she is doing all her own D care. She doesn't tell me much at all though I can look back through the trends and graphs and averages that the Libre has installed and help her with insulin adjustment (if she is in the mood to let me help).

Rachel is using Dex because we need the alarms at night and especially for Boarding School next year and I'm still doing a lot of juggling of numbers and insulin through puberty..https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205156630543452&set=pcb.729262847123567&type=1&theater

8. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

My question is which one would you choose dex or Libre ? We have Dexcom is it worth it to get the Libre?

9. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

What I find so hopeful about the Libre is the fact they advertise no calibrations required. That means the technology is getting to the point where we don't need fingersticks. Think about that for a minute.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I've got to admit that I don't quite get it. It honestly seems like a step backward from a CGM to me.

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I think it depends entirely on the person using it. When we first got it, it just seemed like an expensive alternative to finger pricks, but it does give trends and graphs and direction your bg is heading.
    If you are using a Dexcom and liking it I don't think you would change. For adults buying out of pocket, it gives you a lot of information you wouldn't usually have and it is so much cheaper in that there isn't a transmitter to buy.
    If you aren't using a sensor at any time, you have a very techy meter, which does ketones and has a built in bolus calculator including IOB screen.

Because there is no transmitter I am a lot more relaxed around water and sensor change time - if you lose a sensor you haven't lost the transmitter..

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

It comes in at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a CGM, and for those not using either a pump or CGM marks a huge leap forward in D management..

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Why would it be an improvement for someone on MDI over a dexcom? Other than price? I'm not sure I see that.

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Its not an improvement over Dexcom at all.... unless you are not already using Dex! ... for those using MDI it has the built in bolus wizard and IOB feature... and if you aren't using a sensor it is a very techy BG and Ketone meter... and if you are using a sensor it fills in all the gaps that you wouldn't usually see..

I think its a great in-between of finger pricking and Dexing....

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I missed that part about the bolus wizard and IOB, Jane. That would be a huge bonus, I can see that. '-)

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, it's half the cost, but also...half the product. Other than price, I'm still not getting it. There are plenty of phone apps that track IOB and have a Bolus Wizard.

17. hopefull340

hopefull340 Approved members

Those that have tried box dex and the libre Did you find the libre to be less painful insertion wise? my daughter is mdi has tried the dexcom and refuses to wear it she has highly sensitive skin. Thanks for your input .

18. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

It is half the product and that is another great thing about it really. There is no transmitter and no receiver... You carry your normal bg meter kit and it happens to scan your sensor if you need it too, or test your ketones if you need it too.
    And apart from the bolus wizard/ IOB you can fill in the gaps.. this is our scan this morning.. 005.jpg

For those using Dex happily I can't see them changing.. for those paying out of pocket for CGM although the sensors are about the same price, there isn't a transmitter cost to factor in every 6 months or so.. ( okay maybe you'll get longer) .

19. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

So she went a little low and has a huge breakfast spike... we can fix those things with hindsight..

But I don't think you should compare them to each other - they are completely different systems - not needing a prescription for Libre is great for us as I've had to twist the system to buy from the UK...

As I said earlier we'll stick with Dex for Rachel... Anna is loving Libre... and I can't afford Dex for 2..

20. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Insertion is about the same, but much less fiddly with Libre... its more like a Cleo infusion set insertion - just press it in at your own speed - the stick on the sensor is amazing even though there doesn't seem to be much adhesive.