- advertisement -

Parents of adult "children"

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by OSUMom, Sep 28, 2013.

1. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I've been missing from CWD for a long time with having an adult now with type 1. ;)

I'm at what's almost an end stage of parenting where my son is engaged, building a house of his own, and extremely busy with career and life in general. It's sorta difficult not being connected to the daily, weekly, even monthly diabetes details. I am grateful this week when he had 3-4 omnipod disconnects in 1 day he called ole mom and pop the next night to share the craziness. He knows where to go when he wants to share D details and who will be there eager and interested to listen. That's our role now and though it's been an adjustment - I'm thankful. :cwds::cwds:

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Soon, you'll be like my Mum and not worry at all, except in a all worry Mum way in general, because she knows I do my best!:D

3. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

For those of us still in the trenches, these posts are nice to read! I'm glad your son is doing so well!

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I was hoping some parents would like to hear the perspective on this end of families living with diabetes. Thank you for your affirming reply. :cwds::cwds:

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

This is very much the same as my relationship with my son. At first it is a bit strange, but now I welcome it, and he knows that I am eager and willing to listen and pass along any info that I find out that he likely wouldn't know about otherwise. I still have to be involved in my daughter's care, and will even when she moves out later this year, so I do appreciate not having to worry about my son now. At least not so much. He lives alone and if he doesn't answer a text from me for hours, then my imagination takes over and I do have to call him.

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

For me, I wouldn't say this has been a welcome change necessarily, but it's one I've had to make. Also it's been my experience that the worry hasn't subsided. :wink: No one hands us a handbook on how to handle an adult child flying the nest when type 1 diabetes is part of the equation. We just hope we find our way sooner rather than later.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am glad Dean is doing so good! I can't wait for wedding and house pics and miss ya!

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Hey stranger! Miss you.

And this! ^^

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I really miss you all too. :cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds:

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

There you are!!! I miss you as well!!! You disappeared from FB and I was concerned! Glad to see a post from you! ((HUGS))

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Hi Caspi! I thought disappearing was better than creating drama. :wink: Miss you too!