- advertisement -

Parents--Keep an eye on your child's insulin pump!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JasonJayhawk, Jul 2, 2006.

1. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

2. allisa

allisa Approved members

WOW !!

Unbelievable....and I was upset that my son accidnetally threw his glasses away.

I wonder if you can "insure" a pump in case of breakage or theft ?

3. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Hi
    i actually called my home owners insurance company and asked the same question, and they said yes it is covered automaically in my policy.. wow i thought that was grat just in case...

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You would think the pump companies would sell some type of suplemental insurance that covers just the pump in any situation. Hopefully, this story will get enough press and one of the pump companies will give her a replacement free of charge.

5. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

i emailed to pump company the story.. not sure if it will help, but i fugured hey worth the try....

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

It is tragic but I wouldn't leave it laying around on a bench in the park or even in a bag. When we disconnect I always keep it right with me or I've locked it in a locker at the swim park.

When we first got William's pump I called my home insurance agent right away to make sure we had coverage. We had to add a bit of coverage but it was inexpensive.

Very good point to make!

7. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

sickening

I just can't believe this world sometimes....it makes me so sad to hear stories like this! Not that this is in the same class financially or necessity-wise, but when Meghan was a baby and I was working, I left my ($350) breast pump in the car when we got home. Then I forgot about it. That night, someone broke into my car and stole it, thinking (we believe) that it was a laptop computer. It was built into a large lap-top type of black case with a strap, so it could have been confused for that. What a surprise for the thief to get away and open it up and find out that it wasn't....kind of like the pump thief. Not going to get much music out of that. What makes me the most upset about these stories is that they will likely end up in the landfill, when its something that someone REALLY needs. :(