- advertisement -

Parents in PA/NJ/DE - duPont vs CHOP?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Nov 26, 2012.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

This question is for those of you that live in the Philadelphia metro area. Our son is 7 and was diagnosed in August. The pediatrician gave us the choice of going to duPont or CHOP - in my fog I did not know what to do, and asked them. They said duPont. As much as I hated being in the hospital, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the inpatient care we received. Everyone, and I mean everyone, from the endos to the nurses, to the housekeeping staff, were wonderful. I thought we would never go anywhere else.

Fast forward a few months and we are thinking of switching to CHOP. I wanted to see if anyone here had been to both and what your thoughts were. We live pretty much in the middle of both of them so neither is really more convenient than the other.

From a medical standpoint, we have been very happy with duPont. Everyone has been kind and attentive and given us solid advice. What drives me crazy is that every single time I call them (and wait on hold for 20+ minutes to leave a message), I get a different person calling me back. And the vast majority of the time, I have never met them before. So I know they are looking at my son's chart and they don't know him, they don't know me, and he is just a chart on the screen to them. I want to be able to call someone who knows him, knows me, and knows all of our quirks, etc. As an example, a few weeks ago a nurse basically scolded me for feeding him too many carbs everyday. I knew she was wrong, that I had been told differently. But she insisted his numbers were off because I was feeding him too many carbs. I finally said, "wait, you do know how tall he is, right?" He is 7 but almost 5 feet tall. She checked his records and said, "oh, right, he is very tall. You're not feeding him too many carbs." If she knew us, she would know he is giantly tall. It's things like that that make me so frustrated. I am in this for the long haul, and really want someone who knows us.

Maybe I am expecting too much? I have been told that CHOP is organized differently and I would pick my NP and I would call her for everything. Any thoughts or advice??

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We aren't in your area, but let me tell you how we get our questions answered. We have a doc/nurse team. If it is a non-emergency, such as bouncing numbers off them or making adjustments I email our nurse. She will get back to me by the end of the day. If she's out on vacation and not checking emails (she always has an auto reply directing us what to do) I can then email our doc. Same thing, fairly quick response. If it's an emergency, I call in, message is taken and either our nurse, doc or first available doc will respond to us...ASAP.

So, 95% of the time, someone who knows my child well is getting back to us.
    I hope this info helps.

3. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

I live in Delaware and my son was diagnosed at age 7. I can't speak about CHOP because we have been going to Dupont from the beginning. We have clicked with one DR and one CDE. I request to only have appts with them and when I email or fax in numbers, I request for the CDE to contact me back. In the beginning, I hated when an NP who is not familiar with my son tried to make changes I don't aggree with when she is not familiar with him. Another reason I love Dupont hospital is because when we lost our insurance and didn't qualify for state assisstance, they covered all our appts and everything from their pharmacy.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We started and are still with CHOP.

I absolutely love our CRNP, and can do the whole "email and get a quick response" thing on nonessential questions.

For the more important, pseudo-emergencies, we have done well with getting responses from the on-call doctor.

I have no experience with DuPont, but we love CHOP and are sad that our son will eventually "age-out" of their practice.

5. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

I don't have experience with CHOP endocrinology, but we go to an endo affiliated with Nemours/duPont. Her main practice is at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia and we really like her. I can email or call her and get a response within the hour. I see her in the Newtown Square, PA office. She works with a PA, who is also wonderful. As far as I know they do not have a CDE, nutritionist, or psychologist on staff like CHOP does (at least not in Newtown Square - not sure about Jeff), but we've never really had a need for them.

We started out at St. Christophers, and though we really didn't have any major problems with them, we switched because of the same issues you are having - lack of response to phone calls and high turnover of staff - just as we built a rapport with a CDE or resident/doctor, they were gone and we had to start with someone new.

Send me a pm and I'll give you her name if you want.

Good luck with your decision!

6. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Good luck with your decision!

We switched to CHOP last November; they were night and day compared to our old practice. I'm very happy with them; they are very organized, call back quickly, call in Rx's whenever we need them and most recently they really went to bat for us and helped us with insurance issues to get a CGM. We only go to Philadelphia once in awhile, we use a satellite office in Princeton and they are just as good.

7. dshull

dshull Approved members

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I can't decide what to do - was so frustrated with duPont this week because I sent them all of my numbers on Monday and asked for a call back. Then called on Tuesday to ask for a call back and never got one again. I was getting so ticked off - it should not take 2 days to get a call back.

Finally called again this morning and then my most favorite CDE called me back. Love her!! A real problem solver who works with me on problems together. If I could find a way to just work with her and not have to deal with others, I would do it. So I can't decide if it's easier to stay there and work around their system or switch to CHOP. We are still so new at this, I can make some small ratio changes on my own, but for others, I need help. Like today she told me to stop the Levemir altogether. I would have never done that on my own.

Thanks for your advice - still thinking here.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

At our practice you are part of a dedicated team. So we have a doctor/nurse combo. For general day to day stuff, such as adjustments, I email the nurse. Depending on her patient load that day, I will either hear back after 5pm or first thing the next morning...all via email.

Come right out and ask her if you can work with her (and state why, she responds to you, you work well with her), and if you can send all info via email.