- advertisement -

Parent of 15 y old wants to know are your bff's trained to help with lows and glucago

Discussion in 'Teens' started by linda, Jan 16, 2009.

1. linda

linda Approved members

Hi I am a parent of 15 y/o and starting to seriously think about her future social life and time away from home. Do you guys have an opinion on bff's taking a role in helping you with lows/ glucagon training?? Do you think is too much burden for them???:confused:

2. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

No, my friends are not trained in giving glucogon, I had a bad experience once, I told a friend that I had it on me, what it was for and how to use it. They tried to use it when I was low even though it was not a severe low, I told them no but they didn't listen because apparently "I was low and didn't know what was good for", Needless to say me and this friend are no more.
    My mom is pretty picky about who and where I go and with whom I go. If the situation did arrise my friends know to dail 911 and where I am wearing my medical alert. However if your son has friends who are willing to learn and be reasonable about it. I have a friend that can operate a syrnge so I may show her how to use it before we hit martoc(sking)

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

One of my friends is more trained then the other. One of my friends know if I say I'm low I need food. While one of my other friends, that lived with my family for 4 months, knows how to do the glucagon and all the symptoms, she has actually caught a low of 38 before. She is the one who wanted to learn so I don't now if it is a burden.

4. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

My bff's know what to do in case of a severe low. They know to either give me glucagon or rub frosting in my mouth and call 911. I think it is great if they are willing to learn. It makes me feel safer knowing that if something were to happen they know what needs to be done. I also think they like knowing, so if a situation were to arise they wouldn't be quite so freaked out and feel helpless.

5. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

The only friend I actually spend any time with actually wanted to learn, so I taught him. He knows all of the symptoms, how to use Glucagon, etc. I think it's great if they actually want to learn.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My friends don't know what glucagon is, let alone how to use it. If they wanted to, I might show them (except that I don't know how to use it myself, and don't carry it with me... so...). Basically they know that if I'm low I need sugar and that's about all.

7. linda

linda Approved members

Thanks! You guys are AWESOME!!! Emma-Have somone close to you look at the G-Gun and practice on orange-I have recently thought it a good idea that Em starts to carry the Gun. I know its useless (she cant do herself) but if anyone qualified needed to, and her friends knew where to find it...could help...Em has had 1 seizure and we did have to use (when she was mdi)....I will remind her to post here..the CHAT got so lame:eek:

8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

The person who is around me most close to my age---my cousin, knows how to do glucagon, check sugar, and know the diff between a high and low. She can also flub through bolusing pretty well too. She's been to a training session or two. Also when I'm NOT with her, (I'm usually with my mom with her) I taught a few of my friends how to use glucagon and check sugar. They wouldn't know where to begin with my pump though LOL.

9. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

My good friends know what to do when I'm low, but they don't know how to use Glucagon, and I don't think they need to know, really, because I don't carry one around with me when I'm with them. But they know that if I'm low, we should stop for a few minutes and chill while I treat and wait to come up. They know that I need a juice box or tabs, and they know where they are (in my bag/purse) And they also know that if I'm under a certain level, that I have to wait to come up before I even THINK about driving, and if I'm really low, and we are out in my car, I let them drive. Better safe then sorry. But if your daughters friends are willing to learn, why not teach them!?

Good luck! :)

10. BobbyJackElmo

BobbyJackElmo Approved members

sadly my older sister and brother refuse to learn but my little sister has seen it enough i think she knows everything about it. one of my friends knows how to use it cause her aunt has d. (my older sister swears that diabetes is fake and they just make a big deal out of nothing therefore she wont learn any thing about it.)

11. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

my bff has been around the D block with me the whole time, so she knows alot. although she's not trained in glucagon and i don't think we'll be doing that any time soon. most of my other friends don't know that much, just that i feel crappy when i'm low or high and need to rest, which they let me do. they all know enough to help me if we were on our own and i had trouble, though. i think it's great if friends are willing, but don't push,it might ruin an other wise great friendship.

12. .sarah.

.sarah. Approved members

my friends honestly don't know a lot about diabetes....they hardly know anything actually....like if i'm low i might not tell them, i'd just get up and get a juice and they'll think that i'm just getting a juice to drink because i want to....