- advertisement -

pardon my ignorance... lantus question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Apr 23, 2009.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

It was just before bed and my son had the lowest number he has had since we have been home from the hospital (lowest before bed number). It was 80 and it was time to take lantus, in fact, we were about 20 minutes past the time. So, I was wondering - Lantus is a fasting insulin to keep his numbers LOW during times of fasting, right? It is not the kind of thing that keeps numbers from going lower, is it?

Thinking to myself, this stuff is insulin, it is used to prevent his bs from going UP I gave him a snack of 30 carbs. I will be checking him at 2:00.

But... it is used to prevent the number from going up during fasting right? Is that because the liver produces glucose?

just a bit confused...

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

Yes -- the liver releases glucose. It's how our metabolic function is fueled. So everyone has a little glucose released as we use/need it. The Lantus covers that. Like bolus insulin though, it's a balancing act sometimes to get it right. But you need the basal right since it's the foundation of the whole system. If it's too high, the BG will be too low. Too little insulin, they'll run high.

Keep a close eye on Johnny, because it's about the time they start honeymooning if they're going to do it. You might start seeing a lot of lows, in which case your diabetes team can help you start adjusting the insulin downwards.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

There's a bunch of questions wrapped into this post. :rolleyes:

The liver does put out a steady low-level "feed" of glucose, in order to provide a ready energy source to the body's cells. And the basal insulin we give makes it possible for that glucose to be used by the cells.

Bottom line is, that the Lantus you give now won't really start having an effect for a few hours and yes it is intended to cover the body's basal needs (ie. the insulin the body needs with no carbs coming in, or as you put it "during times of fasting").

If it were me in your shoes I'd have done the same thing (ie. given carbs). At our end, 30 g would have spiked DD high (from 80 to 180) so I'd have not given quite as much. But how much you need to raise their BG is something that takes some time to figure out. I think you did well.

I'd carefully note the BG at 3 am - if it's higher than you like, give less next time. If it's right on target, then you know how much to use next time you're in this situation..

Good luck! :)

4. Danda

Danda Approved members

.... - Lantus is a fasting insulin to keep his numbers LOW during times of fasting, right? It is not the kind of thing that keeps numbers from going lower, is it? No insulin will keep the BG for going lower... I think you're referring to glucagon,which is the opposite hormone for insulin. You are suppose to use glucagon ONLY if not able to eat/drink carbs.

Thinking to myself, this stuff is insulin, it is used to prevent his bs from going UP I gave him a snack of 30 carbs. I will be checking him at 2:00.

But... it is used to prevent the number from going up during fasting right? Is that because the liver produces glucose?You're right, Lantus is referred as basal insulin and is used to balance liver glucose output.
    Hope this help