- advertisement -

Paradigm Revel System questions/vent

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Christy Putnam, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Christy Putnam

Christy Putnam Approved members

We've been using the Revel system for a month now. I'm/we're getting less sleep than before and going through way more test strips. Aden woke me at 2am this morning with a 461 bg. Insertion was messed up so we 'got to' change it then i 'get to' retest his bg in a couple of hours.

Someone please tell me this does get easier with maybe some tips on how to make it happen faster. One of the selling points (to Aden) of getting the cgm system was less "let's just see cuz i'm worried about you" finger pokes and only having the at meals/calibration ones. We all need that to be the case very soon cuz its losing its appeal.

We're using the silhouette insertion and sil-serter. Coming from the animas ping "inset 30", this system greatly lacks 'ease-of-use'. I like being able to angle the insertion but am wondering if it wouldn't be better to get the MIO all-in-one insertion even though it a 90 degree cannula. If you've used the MIO, what are your thoughts?

i had more questions but sleep deprivation has made me forget them. Gonna go get an hour of sleep...

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We have had nothing but success with the Sils, but only when we hand insert. The serter didn't work out for us at all. As far as the sensors, well, that just takes some patience and learning. You aren't going to get good sensor readings and reliability if you have failing pump sites that you're having to change frequently, because the sensor doesn't get any quality time of consistent bg reading. Once you get the site issues solved, I think you'll be happy with the sensor. Just remember that it isn't plug and play. I wanted to run my whole pump/sensor over with a car for about the first three months I had it! Give yourself at least three months to learn the system...it will start to become a valuable asset.

Hang in there!

3. Christy Putnam

Thank you. Knowing about the 3 month learning curve helps. We haven't had pump site issues until tonight so i guess we'll just keep doing what we're doing.

I can't hand insert, it's a mental thing. It feels less like i'm the one poking him when there is an insertion device that does it. Maybe i need to get over it, but i really don't want to have to.

Just now, when i got up to take his bg for the 2hr calibration, his pump was beeping saying "lost sensor" which is something we haven't dealt with before. I had it "find lost sensor" and am now waiting the 15 min it said to wait. ugh.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I think it's normal to use more test strips initially as you learn when you can trust the CGM and when to retest. We went through LOTS more for a bit.:rolleyes:

We use the silhouettes with sil-serter and have only had a couple sites fail in the last three months (other than the three that pulled out in one day this week:eek:). I like having the CGM on watch during the night, so that her BG doesn't go extremely high without me being aware there's a problem.

We've been having lots of problems with our sensor not reading, so we'll probably be getting a new transmitter under warranty.

I hope things go better.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We use Mios

We started with silhouettes and went quickly to spring loaded inserter - the quick set. But then we changed t Mios because they sit a little flatter against the body and I like the the portability of being able to put some at school, some in my purse, etc. without having to carry around a separate inserter like the quick set.

We quit CGMing for a while because of insertion of that needle - my son fights me with that so we just aren't doing it now.

Mios work great for us -my son is thin and we use mostly rear sites.

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

To address the "sleeping less" issue. I know that sometimes you can't help it, but it's always good to insert a new set well before bed time so that you can actually test to see if it works or not. We learned that the WAY hard way!:rolleyes:

7. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

We also hand-insert the sils. If you are unable to do that, I would go ahead and try a different kind of set. The silserter didn't work for us at all.

We also had a looooong learning curve with the CGM. Now I can't imagine living without it.

8. Christy Putnam

Yeah, we were doing insertions in the evening (with the Ping) but since the revel system we've been doing them in the early afternoon. I would not have changed both *early* this morning had today not been insertion day anyway but i absolutely had to change the pump site.

Thanks for the input on the MIO vs the quick set cuz i was wondering about that too.

Has anyone had experience using the MIO on arms, legs and tummies of fairly average to thin kiddos? He's almost 7 and we just recently started trying arms and tummies for both insertion types.

I wish i had known about the long learning curve before starting so i knew more of what to expect. Thanks so much for your input on that cuz now i can stop being so frustrated about that (for a while at least).

9. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

We are totally new at this. I don't know what happened the first time around, but I posted here that I hated it. It was off by 100 or so all the time. We finally ripped it out. On top of that, his skin was totally inflamed under it. Ugh.

We went back to the trainer the other day, and she put it on his arm this time. I thought it wouldn't work since he is thin and has no extra fat, but it worked fine. On top of that, the readings have been very good thus far.

So, I guess we are 1-for-1.

One thing that I learned this time was to only calibrate when it was within range and not going up or down. We knew the not going up or down thing, but we didn't know about the preference for being in range. My biggest thing on calibrating now is that I like to see it stable for like an hour before calibrating. It has only been a few days, but so far, so good.

I still don't know how much I like this thing, though.

10. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I agree with the learning curve. The first 3 months are very frustrating! It will get better.

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I think you may also need to look into having more than one kind of sets, maybe for his body the quicksets work in one place and mio another or the sure-t's and mios, or any other mix of choices. I found we had a lot trouble at first, but that was because we were using the wrong sets for my son's body. We now use the sure-t's since his body is very sensitive to the material that the other sets are made of, we have yet to have a site failure from a sure-t. Also, with the CGM he is very sensitive and with properly taping to protect his skin and proper calibration we get great results, however if we skimp on either of those steps it's a crap shoot. We mostly calibrate at night when numbers aren't fluctuating as much and we will often double calibrate if we have a time when BG has been steady for several hours even if a calibration isn't required, this just seems to keep the system in a tighter range of accuracy with the glucometer.
    But I hear you about the lack of sleep and frustration with it all. There is definitely a learning curve.

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I just want to echo the learning curve with the CGM.

We started Oct 17 and I'm just starting to feel good about it now. :mad::eek:

Hang in there!