advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pandering to Diabetics? You bet! (hold on to your hats)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ellen, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

"Price is Right host Drew Cary recently corralled his diabetes and lost 80 pounds after stopping all sugars and carbs. He focused on fresh fruits and vegetables"
    bahahahahaha.

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

love the comments underneath the article!!!:D:p

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We were hosting a JDRF fundraiser at Dairy Queen, selling the paper sneakers. One of our drive through customers was irate that we would DARE sell paper sneakers for diabetes research when we were the ones causing diabetes. I was not the one working at the drive-through window, but I was very proud of my employee who said, "Juvenile diabetes isn't caused by eating sugar!"

Some people just don't want to learn...this customer certainly didn't. She said she was offended by the sale and wouldn't be back.

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Me too! :D

6. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

I love the replies he got :D But Im really hoping some people I know never run across this article, lol. I can already imagine getting a copy of it emailed to me with their "opinion" (which they always assume is the only one there is) :rolleyes: Some people never learn, lol.

7. MamaBear

I had the same thoughts. I know someone will send it to me. :rolleyes:

8. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

That is just an ignorant article. I clicked on to his blog and sent him a comment. I asked him to take back the article and to use his influence to educate people about the differences of Type 1 and Type 1.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

10. MamaBear

I read it and wow. But I do rather like #16 LOL

11. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Oh how I wish I could just knock some sense into some people :rolleyes:

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

Wow! I love all the replies, and one good one was where the poster said "if you have ever loved anyone other than yourself, please do the research.." lol..So many good replies!!

13. buggle

buggle Approved members

The story is still on the front page of the paper and there, you don't even see the comments. What a little podunk, joke of a paper. And it's unbelievable how the jerk responded to Jenna Holt.

14. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

Whenever I saw this paper at Subway or our local Chinese restaurant (restaurants around here have a pile of them and you can take one for free), I always thought about picking one up, but never did. I'm never going to pick one up now unless they rectify this in a big way.

15. buggle

buggle Approved members

I posted a comment last night -- 24 hours ago. It was #42 and other comments have gone after it, but the mod won't post it.

Here's what I said -- I was trying to make a point, but obviously the paper didn't like it.

----

It seems that this newspaper and Mr. Fowler refuse to retract or correct this damaging, offensive article.

One thing this is particularly ridiculous about the entire pretext of this article is that children with untreated type 1 diabetes slowly starve to death. For us parents of kids with type 1 diabetes, our children were melting away before they were diagnosed. Take a look at what diabetes did to children before the discovery of insulin -- this child weighed 15 lbs at 3 years old. He somehow survived long enough for insulin to become available to save his life.

http://asweetlife.org/sitefiles/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Child-before-after-insulin.jpg

Since you refuse to listen to people explaining to you that type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease, maybe this photo will open your eyes. When children are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, many spend a week in the intensive care unit after an ambulance ride or life flight. Some kids aren't lucky enough to survive. Think about how the traumatized parents who watched their babies struggling to survive on life support must feel reading your cheap shot at a fundraiser to help their children.

You owe a huge apology to the children of the Diabetes Youth Foundation of Indiana and to Ms. Holt. I hope you're a big enough man to realize what a fool you've made of yourself and to apologize to the little kids you've offended. A child with diabetes already has a difficult enough life without having ignorant people, such as yourself, propagate lies and misinformation.

If this paper can't do the right thing, I hope your advertisers will.

16. sooz

sooz Approved members

well said..I hope they publish it, it adds important points..how dare they censor you and yet let him publish his ridiculous views!!! :mad:

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

No one is reading the comments.
    This is a "paper" that probably doesn't even pay its writers so it can get a lot of newsy-looking filler to place between ads. It's a pseudopaper, with a staff probably less than five.
    I'm guessing the filter kicked you out because your comment had a link.:(

18. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

This actually is not stupid, if you look at it from a different perspective. We type 1 folks know that carbs mean carbohydrates and use the technically correct definition. We know that fruits and vegetables all have carbs in them. We have to know this, our kids just can't eat a 15g apple and forget about it, every carb counts.

But people don't always think so precisely. Maybe the author meant "carb" not as carbohydrate but something a bit looser, like "foods that have a lot of high-density carbs" as in a "carb exchange". By that definition, things like breakfast cereal and table sugar and potatoes are "carbs". Celery and apples are not, even though they are nothing but carbs.

Low-density carb foods become self-limiting due to their bulk. Try eating 100g of carbs in broccoli, or even apples... versus 100g in a bagel or pizza. So if you avoid all "carby" foods, you still will eat carbs of course, but you won't build up a big surplus of it, causing your body to stores it as fat.

I've lost over 50 pounds doing more or less the same thing. I just added more fruit and vegetables, this squeezed out a lot of the refined high-carbohydrate foods like breakfast cereal. As for diabetes, again, in a sense, this can be true -- people can often get their Type 2 diabetes to go into remission if they lose the weight. Yeah, it's not cured, but if you have a good a1c, no insulin, and no complications from high BGs, then that's almost the same.

It's less precise, but it's still a good way of thinking without getting bogged down in details. I eat about 150 carbohydrates a day. But of those 150g, only 30g of them are in "carby" foods -- 2 slices of bread. The rest is low-density carbs embedded in other things, such as milk, fruit and vegetables. That's a very different thing than having 150g in sugar energy drinks.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Yup, just scanned around the site a bit (which is, of course, why they still have the story up -- they get ticked for visits, and when we click on advertisers to see who to protest to they get to count all that when they aggregate their data to "prove" to their advertisers how popular their "paper" is).

I guarantee you that if you go to their physical address you will find at most five people on grounds, and probably three of those will be ad salesmen.

These ad papers work by getting folks who want to break into writing or just who want to tell their friends that they are reporters to do stories for them. They don't care what is in the story, as long as they can't get sued for it. They run it through spell check and print it. The writer doesn't get paid, or might get ten bucks.

They distribute for free and then add the number distributed to their ad brochure to sell ads based on "circulation". It doesn't matter how many people read it, it just matters that they've "circulated" however many thousands.

20. sooz

sooz Approved members

I was actually thinking that this guy could actually be an advertiser himself who pays to put his "articles" in the paper. It sounded kind of like he is looking for clients for his 'nutritional' advice..dunno..:(