- advertisement -

Pain with inserting Enlites?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by slpmom2, Jan 2, 2014.

1. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Hi, Everyone -
    It's been ages since I've been on the forum, but wanted to check in and see what kind of experience everyone else is having with the Enlites. We just put in my dd's first Enlite last night, after hearing about so many positive "pain-free" experiences, and she screamed bloody murder. We didn't use numbing cream, since we were expecting it to be more like an infusion set insertion than a SofSensor insertion (in terms of pain level), and apparently that was a huge mistake. I don't know if she was just surprised that she felt it at all, based on all the hype, or if I happened to hit a nerve, but it was ugly.

Anyone else have a negative experience with Enlite insertion? And did it happen only once as a fluke or did it get better?

(I will say, though, that so far I'm impressed with its accuracy - we'll see if that continues.)

Thanks.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My son says the Enlite hurts less with insertion than an Inset(Mio). The old Sof sensor really hurt. Maybe you hit muscle or something that hurt?

3. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

I have had Enlites for awhile (since I'm in Europe). I haven't found it to be very painful at all. Once I hit a muscle though and it hurt a ton! Could be that. Hope it's a fluke. :)

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My first Enlite hurt a lot. I was shocked since I, too, had heard that they were pretty pain free. I've been wearing them continuously since then and I've hardly felt any. I think you just hit a nerve. Sometimes I'm surprised it actually went in I feel it so little.

5. TzachiDar

TzachiDar Approved members

Try to use ICE before you insert

Although we are currently using enlite pump and not the sensor we have found out that attaching ICE to the insertion point for one minute before the insertion makes it almost painless.
    He now cries once in a month and not every time...

6. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I am on a trial Enlite now. Insertion was painless for me. Even less painful than most of my Dex insertions. Hopefully it is a fluke.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have used seven enlites now and so far, none of the insertions were very painful. I took the sen-serter pushed up the inside part and then pressed the green button with nothing in it. I could feel it punch me. With the sensor in there, it feels the same as without it. Afterwards, getting the needle out can sometimes be some what painful, and the site can be a little achy.
    I think it was useful for me to have practiced with the empty serter before hand.