- advertisement -

packing school lunches any ideas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brookiesworld, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

Hey this will be our first school year with D and am trying to think of different things to send in her lunch box, any ideas?

Thank,
    angie

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

I saw something in a book today... cut an apple using an apple slicer so the pieces are even. Then take some peanut butter and "glue" the apple back together and wrap it tightly so it doesn't brown too quickly

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

You can mostly send what you do before (sandwiches, milk or some sugar free drink), I usually have like an apple or crackers, sometimes carrots and ranch. I really like the PPs idea. Probably once or twice a week I would add something like a brownie or a mini candy bar.

One thing I recommend is on the front or in a pocket on her lunch bag put the carb count of each item and the total carb count of the whole lunch.

4. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I use the bento philosophy when packing our lunches. I wouldn't go back to the previous way I packed lunch cause it was alot harder, boring, expensive and wasteful. Our version of bento is super easy, convenient and fun. My kid like finger foods so I haven't embraced all the components of bento and I do a personalized version of food that I know that my kids will eat. I think there is one other cwd member who bento's too (that I am aware of:)).

Here is a great link to get ideas. Lunch in a box.

Because Adin is on nph for lunch, I carb count all his food as I pack it in the morning to match the insulin on board. His preschool was really good about making sure all the kids ate their food before letting them out to play. We need to come up with a plan that will work for Kindergarten.

I always include whatever fun type of snack Adin and my other kiddo's want on top of the combo I insist upon. I try for a balanced protien and carb with fruit or veggie. If they get a drink it is usually a low carb Caprisun type drink. Unless I put a Danamil in then I include a water bottle.

5. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I agree that you can mostly do what you did before. David is usually pretty good about eating whatever food he's agreed to eat. On the days that he takes lunch, I tell him what/how much I'm sending. The only thing that I do is make sure that the drink is carb free. That way he doesn't feel like he has to finish it all. When he wants to buy lunch at school, we'll go over what he wants from the menu and he knows that he has to finish it. I also include a little post it note in his lunch box (or pocket if he's buying) with the total carb count.

6. amy21m10

amy21m10 New Member

lunches

Sometimes lunchables will even have sugar free pudding or even the mini candy bar already totaled up on the back of the nutrition label. really anything can be packed.

List of foods I pack

grapes
    pepperoni slices
    lunch meat no sandwhich sometimes
    cheese cubes
    granola bar
    jello
    fruit cups
    string cheese
    100 cal snack mix
    strawberries

7. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

yogurt is a favorite with my kids- i always keep several cartons in the freezer, it helps keep the lunchbox cool, and it's thawed by lunchtime

8. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Cass loves baby carrots and ranch and cucumbers with ranch...I get those little gladlock containers and use them to hold ranch. I really like reusable containers. We also do tuna salad and ritz crackers, grapes...basically everything she eats at home for lunch. I measure and weigh and write down the carb counts for each item individually and for the whole lunch.

9. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

DD also has celiac so we have been "gearing up" for school lunches since she starts back on Wednesday and we also decided to go the "bento" route
    I was able to get 4 cases at Target on summer clearance! and even in Red her favorite color, so two for her and two for her brother!
    We have access to a microwave and dd likes consistency so here is our "lunch plan"

Monday: mini tacos (microwave 30 seconds), grapes, gogurt
    Tuesday: peanut butter between two pancakes, blueberries,
    Wednesday: "Dips": hummus, peanut butter & ceasar dressing w/ GF pretzels, baby spinach leaves, apple, carrots chips, & mini cheese rice cakes
    Thursday: pizza (2 slices, microwave 30 seconds),
    Friday: cheese quesadilla (corn tortillas, salsa & mozarealla, I cook at home, she will eat at room temp or micro 20 secs), fruit, 1 cookie

The fruits change, sometimes I do send 1 or 2 5carb cookies
    morning snack is usually strawberries and cheese with 2 crackers
    afternoon snack is a "bar" of some sort, I make homemade chocolate chex cereal bars, homemade peanut lara-type bars and we buy Larabars, Zonebars and one other bar she likes.

Hope this helps!

I put a sticky note in her lunch and pretty much know how much she will eat, if she does not finish her lunch they make her call me as we do bolus before and I will have her drink half or a whole juice box if needed, but that only happened twice all of last school year. We go to small Christian school so calling is no issue.

This shows what we pack in: http://lunchinabox.net/2008/05/05/review-cheap-lunch-containers-at-target/

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We use www.laptoplunches.com Love them. Yes they are pricey, but we are on year 4 of using the same lunch boxes. Very high quality and great for measuring out stuff.

My son has every day a sandwich, apple wedges, carrot sticks w/dip, and a small candy. E.V.E.R.Y. D.A.Y.

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel eats the same thing every day. Ham sandwiches, small chippies and a mandarin.... If she sees me try to put anything else in she says "I won't eat that" !
    She is then always 'starving' :rolleyes: from the time she gets home until bedtime....

12. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

How do some of you get your kids to eat the same thing everyday:confused::confused:?? Is it their choice...or yours?

My D and non-D kid will NOT eat the same everyday they take their lunch...but man it would make it so much easier...I am running out of options...:( And my kids can't use a microwave to warm their lunches...so if it wont stay warm in a Thermos....im out of luck...

I like the apple and peanut butter one from Denise. I will keep watching this thread for more ideas.:D

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

In our case its definitely Rachel's choice - I am not THAT cruel! :eek:
    I'd love to add a bit of variety....

14. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

thanks for all of the tips!! I went to Sam's and the grocery store today I think I got her some good choices. I am mainly going to send a sandwich then change the sides, I got : small pkg. peanuts 5carbs, applesauce 12carbs, apple and grapes 10 carbs, carrots and ranch, chips, and those little 100 calorie snack packs of cookies and such they are like 15 carbs a pkg. I'm ready for lunch. the hard part is keeping everyone out of it so it is there to send in the lunch box. she has two older brothers that eat me out of house and home. lol

15. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

No..I didn't think any of you were..I was just wondering..and surprised:eek: I am just baffled that there are kids that dont want variety. My kids will not eat the same lunch 2 days in the same week....

16. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

We do as we did before sandwhich fruit treat veg etc. I put a sticky note in with the carb count for each item.

17. BrendaK

His choice, not mine. God forbid I run out of lunchmeat for a sandwich or apples, you'd think the world is ending!

I even bought a thermos last year to pack hot foods and he wouldn't eat it. Seriously we are going on year 4 of packing lunches, maybe he'll get tired of the same thing every day this year.

18. BrendaK

I do the sticky note too. He has recess before lunch, so he goes to the nurse before recess to correct any highs/lows, and then uses the sticky note to bolus himself for lunch. Saves an extra trip to the nurses's office between recess and lunch.

19. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Kathy will eat the same things for a while, but then burns out and won't eat those things again for a long time. So I have to come up with a variety of things.

I pack mostly snacky foods - she's not a "sandwich" fan - so we stick with stuff like cheese sticks, a cut up apple, strawberries, red grapes, a bowl of oranges, applesause, granola bar, fig newtons, a bag of chips or cheetos, rice krispie treats, Pirate's Booty, salami slices, cream cheese spread on bologna and rolled up, crackers and spreadable cheese, yogurt, fruit snacks....any variation of these.

I give her a Capri Sun to drink or just a water bottle. I pack at least 6 or 7 items a day since she's there before and after school, until I pick her up. I write the carbs on anything that doesn't have it listed and she uses a calculator (also packed in her lunchbox) to total the carbs for her boluses.

20. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hmm... this would be easy if she'd eat the same thing everyday!