- advertisement -

Packing for a multi week road trip vacation, any tips/advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Feb 17, 2014.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I know what to pack, we've been doing this for years. But this is our first trip of more than 5-6 days. Usually our vacations are just long weekends in state. Once dd and I went to WDW but we flew and stayed only one place, no unpacking and repacking etc. I normally use a small three level rubbermaid type case that snaps together and a soft sided lunch bag with ice packs for insulin. But that will not be enough space this time.

This summer our family is driving to WDW and Hilton Head with a few stops on the way there and way back. We're coming from Michigan.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to use to pack diabetes supplies for a long trip that will involve a lot of time in the car and several hotels.

Oh and if anyone has any suggestions on carrying supplies in WDW, that will be useful too. DD (she'll be 14) will carry most of her own items but I'll be carrying a purse/bag with backups plus all the normal "mom" stuff. Not even counting D supplies, I liked to be prepared for everything lol. You know, sunblock, rain ponchos, OTC meds/bandaids, etc.

2. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I've done multi-week and multi-month trips before, for vacation and work. The good news is that for the most part extended trips are easier than short ones. For a one week trip, people generally pack 50-100% extra supplies. For a long trip you need maybe 10-20% extra. Except for insulin, you probably want more buffer there for long car trips and the inevitable junk food eating. On a one week trip, one bad site drastically cuts into your infusion sets so you bring multiple spares. But odds are, you aren't going to have a bad day every day for weeks on end.

The other thing is that as much as you want to be prepared for everything, be realistic about it. If you are mostly going to be in populated areas, not the middle of the woods, you don't need a three month apocalypse scenario supply of everything. Bring the things that are hard to get, bring a basic emergency kit that will get you to the next city, and written scripts but don't overthink it. Most small towns or larger have a pharmacy, a grocery store, etc, they have stores that will sell you things as you need them. They will sell you sunscreen, ibuprofen, etc. They will sell you NPH and Regular without a script. Syringes too can be bought by the 10 pack. If you get in a bind, Animas can overnight supplies to your next hotel, or a fedex/UPS pickup place.

Have a ziplock with a cartridge, infusion set, insulin, a vial of strips, small bit of spare tape and a syringe that you keep in her bag of "car entertainment" while you're driving. That way the obvious things are accessible without stopping. Otherwise, I keep boxes of infusion sets and cartridges in my suitcase with everything else. For really long trips with multiple boxes of each, the in-use boxes stay with my everyday stuff and then the extended supply has a separate bag so that it isn't in the way as much.

Trips less than three weeks, I generally don't worry too much about ice/refrigerating insulin and use refrigerators when they are available. If you're worried, or it's longer, frio packs are awesome.

3. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We bought one of those travel coolers that plug into a cigarette lighter when we did a long road trip last summer, and it turned out to be a great investment.

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

When we went to Disney World and Universal Studios a year and a half ago, I was concerned about a few rides where backpacks, etc. needed to be stowed (on of the rides set Wizarding World of Harry Potter was like that). I think someone on this board suggested it, I bought a photographer's vest. It had lots of pockets and I did not have to stow it. It worked out very well and I would definitely use it again.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

When we do road trips I normally keep everything in a clear small tote box and just bring that in from the car every night. Or I'll use a small overnight bag just for his stuff. The point is, I need it to be easy to remove from the car at each stop so that we're not leaving things in the car, and easy to see what we have.

In disney, I normally just carry a backpack and carry the meter and glucose tabs, since I'm less likely to lose it. ;) (and he doesn't go off on his own anyway) I tend to stick in a granola bar or two (and glucagon) and leave it at that. But I do keep a lot of glucose tabs with us. Any emergency can be dealt with, and food and drinks are plentiful. I just have what we need for an immediate low. I don't bother carrying extra insulin or syringes or anything anymore. I figure we're not in a 3rd world country. I also do bring hand wipes and alcohol wipes. It's really the only time we use them.

But a backpack works because I can get all the other family things in there too. I usually have our park bag set up so that the meter is in the very front pocket , so in a line we can just keep the bag on Dad's back and I or DS can access the meter easily without disturbing the whole bag. It did take a while to find the right bag though.

Oh, and one more - we make him wear a spi belt all the time. Normally at home he just throws his pump in his pocket but at the parks I like it to be secured and not bouncing all over the place.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This would be great! We have a small suitcase that we pack all the stuff for the "uninvited guest" in, and last summer, I ended up just dragging it into a stop with me rather than leaving it in a hot car. It was a hassle, but easier than sorting out epipen, glucagon, insulin, Dexcom sensors, etc. We've also never left infusion sets in the car because we were told that heat makes the stickum nasty.