- advertisement -

packed lunches?

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Tommo, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

just thinking ahead and planning schools - have been in touch with the few we selected and have found that they do not allow packed lunches - and now wondering how we could cope with school meals. Presumably this would create all sorts of problems? I had it in mind to send him in with a packed lunch knowing exactly how much to bolus for...has anyone any experience of this? any thoughts appreciated, thanks:confused:

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

School Lunch

My son was use to the eating the school lunch before d. So after diagnosis, I contacted the school and they provided a list of all the lunches for the month with the carb counts for everything down to the little packets of ketchup. We only had about 1-1/2 months left of school this year but we would try to go over the month's calendar - choose what he would want to eat and then I would figure all the carbs, type up a list, and send it to school with him. The nurse would then review the list with him prior to bolusing to be sure he wanted to eat that much.

In the month and a half, we had two times where he picked something he didn't like or he wasn't hungry to finish. He told the nurse and she worked with him the rest of the afternoon to keep his BG up or gave him something else to eat from the snacks I leave in her office.

We do have the option to bring his lunch too, which he does about half the time.

3. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

I just seen this post and thought I would toss in my own personal experience.

I send a packed lunch for my son to school it is carb counted grams figured out and insulin perpaired. One school we were at said NO packed lunchs I informed them that it is for his health I also got a letter from the Doctor stating that it is in my sons best interest to bring a lunch from home. I have relized many schools will carb count the lunches but they are usually off by about 10grams...

I hope you find a way to work it out