- advertisement -

Overtightened battery cap on pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jenneve93, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

I was changing the battery in my son's pump (Ping) tonight and somehow managed to overtighten the cap. Now it won't come off. It just keeps turning in either direction. I don't see any cracks anywhere, so I guess that's good, but the cap looks like it's sitting uneven. I can see part of the O-ring in one spot. I'm sure this will make it not waterproof anymore. I don't think it's going to effect insulin delivery because it primed just fine, but I'm going to keep an eye on his blood sugar anyway. I need to call Animas to find out what to do about this.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yes I would woryy abput "waterproofness" and the possibility of a hairline crack.

we overtightened once and saw the crack, they replaced it without any issue. We kept using it till the new one came.

3. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

Just got off the phone with Animas customer service. He was great! First he had me get a pair of needle-nose pliers and try to pry the cap off. It wasn't going anywhere, and all it accomplished was tearing up the cap. So, he decided to send a replacement pump. It should be here Friday. He told me at least 3 or 4 times not to use the pump now because he would be concerned about it losing power, so we're back to MDI until Friday evening.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glad they are sending a new pump. In addition to the loss of the waterproof feature, it would most likely loose it's prime and continually alarm.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Wouldn't necessarily help in this situation, but whenever I get a new battery or cartridge cap, I always save the old ones if they are still in half decent shape. I figure then at least I will always have a spare should something happen to the one I am currently using.

I'm glad Animas customer service was good for you...we've had bad luck the past few times we needed to call.:(

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

When ours cracked, we used Lantus for basal and the pump for bolusing until the replacement arrived. We injected 1/2 the basal in the AM and 1/2 in the PM so that when the pump arrived we could switch back easily enough.