advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overnight waking feeling ill.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Artgirl, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Hi all,

My 18 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago. Her honeymoon period is over and keeping her sugar in range is such a challenge. Anyhow, she often wakes up several times a month always at 3 am, saying she feels sick mainly dizzy. Her sugar has always been on the higher side at this time. Is this related to diabetes and her sugar being a bit high? I am at a loss because when her sugar is high at other times during the day she does not feel dizzy. Anyone experience this and know what could be going on? It makes me nervous when she gets like this. She takes more insulin then goes back to bed and wakes up fine later on. Thanks

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When you say her sugar being a bit on the higher side, what do you mean? I know my daughter doesn't sleep well when high, and she has been dizzy at times in the past during the day.

I would call your endo or gp to ask the question. There could be other issues going on that could trigger the dizziness, and you don't just want to blame everything on blood sugars.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I can't figure out how to edit my post, so I'll add another. Sleep Apnea and T1D often coexist, and it can be a cause for higher blood sugars when it's happening, I believe. It might be worth requesting a test?

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

You will need to spell out what "a bit high" is. It could be high blood sugar.

It could also be dehydration, or overheating (I get dizzy and nauseous when I get too hot sleeping)..