- advertisement -

Overnight false lows and matress types

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by emm142, Nov 12, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm home from university for the weekend, and it got me thinking about how D has been going since I've been away. Something I realised was that I haven't had a single overnight false low since I've been away (6 weeks) whereas usually they would happen at least around once per week (with Sof-Sensors).

This got me wondering whether mattress type could affect false-low-frequency. My mattress at uni is probably a bit softer than at home, so maybe there's less pressure on the sensor when I lie on it? I thought it was an interesting idea, even if it might be completely wrong. :p But whatever the reason, the lack of false lows has been good.

ETA: ugh, spelling mistake in title that I can't edit...

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

It will be interesting to compare although that would mean you'd be getting the false lows. And now that we've experienced those overnight, I certainly don't want to wish them on anyone. :rolleyes:

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Oh, this would be a good opportunity to ask for one of those memory foam mattress toppers!! It's a medical necessity!!;)

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Do the memory foam mattress toppers help with false lows from pressure? I need that if they do!!

I have thought of some crazy device that looks like a football face cage to place over the area of the sensor.:eek:

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's ridiculous the thoughts we end up having due to this crazy condition. :p

Isn't it ironic that I posted this and then had a very low night. I guess I probably jinxed myself somehow? :eek:

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, you jinxed yourself! :p
    Hopefully maybe run some lower temp basals for tonight. Do you find even though you are an adult past the growth hormones do you find your insulin needs going up and down? Like you mentioned
    "glycogen stores were depleted which meant that I needed less insulin this morning."
    I was hoping this up and down nightmare was just because of growth hormones.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm pretty sure that during a low, the liver converts glycogen to glucose, and after the low is over the stores of glycogen in the liver need to be replenished - so less insulin is needed for a little while after serious lows. Either that or whatever caused the low in the first place kept causing decreased insulin needs this morning. Who knows!

I'm not sure about how things change with age. I know it's supposed to get easier, but I would say my control has become harder in the 4.5 years since diagnosis due to several factors (hypo unawareness developing, loss of residual beta cell function, other illnesses, less predictable lifestyle). I don't think all of the puberty hormones stop entirely until the 20s, and as a woman there are also fluctuations throughout the month, and for me that's not entirely predictable (sorry, slight TMI :p).

So basically, I've heard it gets easier as growth hormones go away, and I'm hoping that that hasn't happened yet! It would be nice if things smoothed out some.

8. Malak

Malak Approved members

I Think the false low is a defect in the sensor more noticable and constant with the enlite sensor, our experinces are directly related to pressure on the sensor, but can occur when my daughter goes to sleep. I think the smaller size sensor in effective in detecting sugar reading at lower blood pressure and perfusion states!

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We never see false lows, and neither does my son. Both he and Melissa have memory foam mattresses. Melissa's is just the one that goes on top of the mattress, and Michael has the mattress with one built in. They really are very comfy, so I would give it a try for sure, and even if that isn't the reason for the false lows, you will have a more comfy night's sleep!

10. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

Tom has loads of false lows at night - thought it was because the sensor is on his arm but now I'm off to buy the memory foam mattress (!!)- just in case it makes a difference - do like the idea of a cage over the sensor too - might try that second :) Good ideas, thanks

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Let us know if the mattress works!

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I hope it does!

Hey, do you think they might give me a memory foam mattress on the national health service? ;) (Thinking it's unlikely as they won't even cover sensors... but you never know until you ask. :p)

13. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

Ended up getting a mattress topper - which seemed a cheaper option to a new expensive mattress - it's really soft and lots of extra padding. Anyway.....so far so good :)

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Is it actually helping? Hmmm.. might have to do a study on this. :p

15. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

Am hopeful - it would make sense - think the mattress was a bit of a board (never really thought about it until I saw your post!) : ) And Tom is very happy with his new soft bed and is showing everyone who comes over!

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Did you get a memory foam mattress topper or one of those fiber ones?
    ANd I agree with Emma the CGM companies need to research how to help prevent false lows from pressure if they want them used in an AP

17. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

no wasn't memory foam - it's a feather mattress topper....did wonder which would work best - but was told the memory foam get very hot - so didn't want to risk it!