- advertisement -

Our school nurse is retiring!!! :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by goochgirl, May 23, 2014.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Our wonderful school nurse, who has taken care of Y for the past 3 years, is retiring at the end of this school year. I will, no doubt, worry about her replacement all summer. She has been such a great support to me; especially when it came to standing up to the principal (who drives me barking mad). Just needed to vent to others who understand...

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I know how stressed you must be! Jack had his first nurse for three years, and then she left to take another job. He had his second nurse for a year, and then his school closed. We're on school nurse number 3 in five years, and they've all been wonderful, although I worried every time we had to change. I will cross my fingers for you that your new nurse is as great as your current nurse!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi "gooch" ;-) Long time no see.

Good luck with the nurse. I hope the old one will have a hand in training the new.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Right there with you. My oldest's dd's school nurse is also retiring this year, she has been there the whole time ,4years.

It is double nail biting because my youngest is starting on insulin tonight, and now I have no idea who the replacement nurse is and how well she understands Diabetes.

And I work for student health services!

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We've never had a school nurse, so no wisdom here. I just wanted to say how nice it is to see your post Gooch. Welcome back. :cwds:

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Hi! Well, thank you for the warm welcome back!!! Unfortunately, the old nurse will be gone before they ever select a replacement. It would be nice if they hired one of the two nurses who subbed for her on a regular basis. That being said, I live 2 blocks from the school, and was always homebound when there was a sub in place.