- advertisement -

Our first HI (over 600) reading :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Sep 30, 2008.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

Last night I went in to check at midnight and DS woke up asking for a drink. His bed was already soaked, so I figured he would be high when we checked, but never expected this. I'm sure it's because of those darn steriods! After a correction at midnight and again at 3 AM, DS was finally in range at 6 AM. Thank goodness last night was his last dose (after 5 days). We still are doing amox for 5 more days and breathing treatments. I'm hoping the worst is over for now -- I want some sleep! This darn non working pancreas is driving me crazy!! There is a bright side -- DS has been in a good mood and a real trooper through all of this, so I'm thankful for that.:cwds:

2. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

have not happened to us yet. but in this case is the child needed to go to the hospital. when our daughter was diagnosed , she was alittle over 6oo, so i am curious what to do.

3. aidensmom

Well, he didn't have ketones and the prednisolone (steroid) has been making his numbers run very high, but this was the worst yet! Even at dx he was not this high. The endo recommended that we check and correct every 3 hours around the clock due to the meds he is on, so we've been doing this since Thursday. I don't think that he needed to go to the hospital for this. We did end up there last week b/c he couldn't breathe (possibly has asthma) and had large ketones (no DKA though). If we couldn't get him down and ketones were present I would have probably at least called the endo on call. Hope this answers your question. We are fairly new to all this too.

4. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Our meter has read HI on multiple occasions and we have been told NOT to take him to the hospital.

A high BG that is treatable at home means the child doesn't need to be seen, just recieve insulin.

If a child is HI and doesn' t respond to the insulin.or has ketones then yes call the endo and ask what they want to do, sometimes they will send the child to the ER but USUALLY they try to treat at home even if they are HI because a HI is not good, but a child is in no immedate usually, from a single hi bg reading.

You did great, I am sorry your meter was being too friendly! Thank goodness you can stop the steroids!

5. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb has been over 600 a few too many times. We have never gone to the hospital. He did not really have ketones, so we gave insulin and he came down nicely.

I am glad to hear that he is done with the steroids. Hopefully, the rough nights will be over soon.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We've seen them a couple of times. Usually illness or REALLY BAD SITE (the only way it would go that bad that quick).

7. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Steroids could def. cause this. SOund slike you handled it very well, now try and take a nap. ;)
    Allene

8. aidensmom

Thanks! Oh, how I wish I could, but I don't think that would go over too well here at work. I'll just try to get to bed early tonight. Mom's bringing dinner, so at least I won't have to worry about cooking :) Wonder how long the steroids will stay in his system? Here's hoping better nights are ahead soon!

9. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Length of the steroids in his system, I really do not remember how long it is able to mess with the blood sugars. THank god for mom bringing dinner. I won't tell your boss if you don't.;)

Good luck and hope you have better night tonight.
    Allene

10. kdsor

kdsor Approved members

Sorry you had to go through that last night. It would have scared me to death :(

Here's a hug {{{{hug}}}}}

Paula