- advertisement -

Our experience and questions with Dexcom right now.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Maybe, but at what cost? It was obvious (at least to me) that what Sarah meant was that the benefit of the parent following the child on the sideline trying to not lose contact with the CGM might be less important than letting the child play the game without that distraction.

2. Erin W

Erin W New Member

Calibrating your meter

"Another one is, how much flexibility do we have in choosing calibration times? If we have to calibrate exactly every 12 hours then we are going to have some times that are not convenient."

Dexcom tech support walked me through my calibration questions. They are available 24/7 and are always helpful, kind and thorough. I learned to calibrate when my arrow is straight, not up nor down, as I am confirming a number, rather than chasing something. When I calibrate with the arrow at an angle, my readings will be off--probably until I calibrate once more. Love my Dexcom!

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I get that but it also doesn't hurt to have a parent willing to do what they think it takes. I think it's a leap to assume standing on the sidelines would be a distraction. I've seen some pretty quick drops that I wish I had a better handle on. I'm just saying to use the tool to ones's advantage. I think we've all seen situations on both sides of the aisle and a few sideline standing days could result in either a more relaxed bleacher experience later on or an "uh oh" moment. On the other hand maybe they do plan on running up and down the sidelines holding out the receiver a far as possible the entire game trying to get data.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Again, you are missing the point. The scenario that was being discussed was not a parent simply "standing on the sidelines". It was following the child back and forth "wandering around the soccer field" so as not to lose the connection. Anyway, let's get the thread back on topic, I'm out. Good luck to the OP.

5. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We use the tallygear for the Dex and love it. Hunter can clip it to his belt loop, his backpack or whatever. His little brother loves to wear it on the lanyard and keep an eye on him.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thank you everyone for your replies. Dexcom called me this afternoon just to see how things were going - gotta love that.

Anyway we had our first problem as of about ten minutes ago: my daughter started to complain that it was really itchy and she wanted it off. We took a good look at it and it seems that the itch is only where the Tegaderm that was applied over the Dexcom sensor was overhanging and touching her skin (she gets rashes from bandaids too). We put on the Tegaderm because the edges lf the dex patch started to peel a little this morning, but I guess we will stop using the Tegederm - so far we trimmed off all the Tegaderm. So now what is best to avoid the peeling of the Dex? Do you all think I should get the Skin Tac or try the optiflex? Are either available at a local pharmacy? What about Benadryl spray? I even saw advice on the net to simply not wipe with alcohol first. What do you all think is the best next step?

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, I don't know ... I guess we're the really lucky ones because we are on week 3 of a G4 sensor (we don't usually get that far) and all we use is an alcohol pad and let it dry.

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac had a few bad rxns to tegaderm with the dexcom for some reason. What we've done is switched to IV3000 1-Hand, we cut a small square out in the middle for the insertion spot and put this on his skin directly, then we put the sensor on top. This seems to help with keeping the life of the sensor and not having irritated skin. MM sells the tape directly, amazon carries it and many insurance companies cover the cost, too.

9. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I forgot to add we don't prep the skin prior with alcohol either as that leads to irritation, too. We just try to do new sensors after bath/showers.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Try Hypafix. We take around the tape with 2" strips and then over everything with a 4" square. We do it right at insertion and don't touch it again until sensor death.

Tagederm and IV3000 didn't work well for us at all.