- advertisement -

our 2 yr old was just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by maciasfamily, Feb 15, 2012.

1. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Hello everyone! My 2 year was just diagnosed with diabetes. He wasn't feeling well, peeing and drinking a lot, when we took him to the ER Sunday. His sugar was 692. They took him by ambulance to Children's Hosp which is an amazing place that helped us so much. We came home last night thankfully.

It's quite a bit to take in, but we're managing. I'm glad I found this great site.

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Welcome. You learn so much info in the 1st couple of days. This site has been a life savior for me

3. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Welcome! So glad you found this site so quickly. There's a great group of parents who've been at this quite awhile, a fair number of new families, and everything in between. It's a great place to seek advice, gain some support, and simply vent when needed. Look forward to seeing you around, though sad you had to join in the first place.

4. Pull Up A Chair

Pull Up A Chair Approved members

Welcome. I only found this site yesterday. My daughter was 9 when diagnosed, now she's 11. I know how frightening this can be. Hang in there.:)

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

It is hard say welcome....none of us want any more parents here...or kids diagnosed with T1. That being said I am really glad you found CWD :cwds:. How are you and your son doing? All of us know how the first few weeks/ months are a huge adjustment. My advice is take deep breaths, lean on your support and know with time this will get easier. ((hugs))

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I am glad you found us so quickly. You are safe here, we all understand what youre going through. I know youre probably very frightened now and confused and angry and sad:( Now that you are home you can get settled in and begin learning about type 1 diabetes. Be patient with yourself and ask lots of questions, both here and from the diabetes team. There are always endos on duty 24/7 that you can call with questions. There are many members of the forums who's children were very young like yours at diagnosis. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to post them.

7. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

My 2 yr old was just diagnosed dec19th. Keep strong, it's a lot to take...oh, and try to sleep. My prayers are with you and your family

8. maciasfamily

thank you all so much! It is much better now that we're home. Even though it's been a few days we're settling in well. The Endo team at the hospital was great, and the same doctor will continue to treat him, and I really liked her so that's good.

I think my harder things are, how do we handle things when we go places. Like when we run errands and are gone for several hours? I realize we need to bring snacks, his insulin and our 'emergency kit' of juice and stuff...but what else should we bring?? Can we give him injections in public or better to take him private?

How do we handle going out to eat and knowing how much carbs are in things? He does get insulin after he eats based on how much carbs he eats, which is great.

I'm sure many more questions will follow. Thank you again for your support!

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That is great that you like the endo:) That person is a very important member of your team. Your son of course, is the team leader even at his young age.

What we carry in Stevens diabetes bag when I go out to run errands for several hours are: His meter, his pen, extra pen needles, Glucagon, fast acting carbs usually glucotabs, tube of cake frosting (this is good when a child is very low and cant chew glucotabs or drink juice) Some peanut butter crackers, a granola bar. Steven also has a diabetes bracelet that he wears whenever we go in the car. That way, if we are in an accident and unable to tell the emergency crew of his condition the bracelet speaks for him.

If your son isnt too frightened of injections you can do them wherever you are all comfortable. I do them at the table now when we go out to eat. If your son gets upset when its time for his shot you could wait to do it in the car.

Most restaurants have nutrition info. Often if you know where youre going to eat you can look up their nutrition info online. A really good guide is called The Calorie King book. This has listings for most major restaurants along with the carb counts for all their dishes. If you cant find the info dont hesitate to ask the waitress or person serving you for nutrition info. Some of them have pamphlets with this info available for the asking.

10. maciasfamily

thank you Becky! this is exactly what I was looking for!

11. nat07

nat07 New Member

it took me a while to find this site. My son is only 19 months old