- advertisement -

Our 1st Sick to his Stomach night....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PseudoJenn, Aug 28, 2009.

1. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

:( It's not any fun seeing any of your kids sick.
    DS was sick around 10:30pm last night and threw up a lot of food. (he had only had a smaller carb supper ?! )

Anyways.. tested him, he was 4.3. (77)
    Gave him a small juice box to see if he'd hold that down and also raise his sugars.
    He slept.. at 12:00 midnight he was up to 9.1 (164) So that was good.

Checked him at 3:15am and he was down to 4.2 (76) again.
    Gave him another small juice box.

Checked at 6:30am and he was 5.2..(94) let him be. Still not sick again, yay!

He woke up around 8:50am and was at 4.0. (72) He said he felt fine to eat his breakfast and so far, so good. I'm watching to see if he shows signs of a low and will recheck him in a half hour or 1hr.

Is it weird that he kept going LOW after he was sick? :confused:
    What have your kids #'s been after they're sick to their stomach?

We didn't test for ketones or anything since he was never over 14mmol. (252)

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

It's funny, when Emma gets sick, her BG will often run low like that as well. I'm sure it has something to do with the immune system being so busy fighting the illness that it doesn't have the resources to kill beta cells. I think it would be fascinating to do a C-Peptide during an illness.

Do you know how to to mini-glucagon shots if his BG stays low and he won't eat?

3. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

Stomach bugs and diabetes do not get along very well. For some reason after a diabetic has a stomach bug their stomachs do not digets sugar. Therefore they are getting too much insulin since the sugar they are ingesting does not digest.

My daughter has been in the 40's and has drank 2 juice boxes, chocolate milk and ate a happy meal and still only came up to 60.

Stomach bugs freak me out the most.

Keep an out this can happen for up to a week after they are sick! I always call the endo when vomitting is involved.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

The last time Steven got sick to his stomach I did have to do a mini glucagon on him. He vomited shortly after he ate and went down to 43. I think he went so low because the stomach bug cause his digestion to slow down maybe? Im not sure of that but it seems possible. After that he was unable to keep anything down even flat ginger ale so the endo said to do the glucagon. It cause him to vomit once more but he did go up to 166 and stayed steady above 100 until he could sip the ginger ale. I do hope that your DS is feeling better today. I do test for ketones even when Stevens blood sugars are low as the endo told us that ketones can cause vomiting and vomiting can cause ketones, it can become a vicious cycle sometimes.

5. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

:cwds: THANK YOU!!! :cwds:
    Your replies have helped us!
    I tested his Ketones just in case (like you said Becky.. to test when he's low even) and they're negative.

He has run low all day. Put a call in and they had us put him on a temp basal reduction of 50% until the evening. Then, we lowered his basal rate for the morning seeing as he is so low for the last week (even before last night).

In the morning he ranged from 3.9 (70) to 3.6 (65).
    This afternoon 3.9 (70) to 5.1 (92).

His target range is supposed to be 6.0 (108) to 10.0 (180).

Tonight, he couldn't finish all of his supper as he immediately started complaining about his tummy hurting. Poor guy! (I tested him and he was okay.. 5.1 (92) ) I hope that he doesn't throw up again.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh I hope he doesnt get sick again Jen! poor little tyke:( Good though that hes negative for ketones. It often takes Steven several days to feel better in the stomach after being sick. I find one thing that he can tolerate well is some dry cheerios, they seem to be bland enough to not bother him.

7. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

We were told to always check for ketones if Kadie has stomache pains or any kind of stomache virus. They can still have ketones even if they are not high. Kadie got a nasty stomache virus last January and ended up in the ER because she got dehy:cwds:drated and had large kt, her bs was low.