- advertisement -

Other things I learned at camp....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Twinklet, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

From pretty reputable sources, although nothing can really be verified! LOL! You all may know a lot of this already but I'll throw it out there anyway:

1. Next generation Omnipod Pods WILL be smaller, even though they'll be integrated with Dexcom.

2. Dexcom is almost finished working on a very small implantable sensor which would only need to be replaced each year. It does require an office visit to a surgeon and would leave a 2-inch scar. Probably only for adults, I imagine.

3. We've all heard the Navigator transmitter will be made smaller, and we got that again. Many of the speakers think it's the most accurate sensor currently available but that improvements in the next generation MM will be great.

4. Lots of progress is being made in the area of prevention and restoration of beta cells for very new and early diagnoses. Specifically, infusing Anti-CD3 for 14 days consecutively in a person with a new diagnosis prevents further beta cell destruction for an entire year. They are now trying to see if further infusions of Anti-CD3 at the one-year mark will delay it for another 12 months.

5. Scientists are finding that the encapsulated islet cells (LCT) are breaking down faster than they thought and are much more prone to immune system destruction than previously thought. Some people are also having a "poor reaction" to the seaweed/algae (not sure what that means and I didn't get a chance to ask) :(

6. 50% of new onset T1D occurs in people older than 18 now!

7. The rate of T1D diagnosis is increasing by 3-5% each year for the past several years. They don't know why. Currently it occurs in about 1:300.

I know there's a LOT more, but at one point my notes look like chicken scratch! My DH took copious notes so I'll get his later and see if there's anything else I can find that's interesting or new enough to post.

Rick likes this.
  2. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

thanks for posting. its great to hear what's new

3. susan

susan Approved members

All of those are exciting but I'm especially excited that the next generation omnipod will be smaller...

4. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

wow, #2 would be awesome even for kids if it worked.

5. Shannon's Mom

Shannon's Mom Approved members

Thanks for the info! We were at a pre-pump class last week and were also told about the Omnipod. The new ones are supposed to be 35% smaller.

6. Tripper

Tripper Approved members

I've heard that the PDM is 35% smaller. I expect that there is no change in the pods in the near future. We should see very soon. And where is that new software? Somebody shout when they see it.

7. linda

linda Approved members

hi-thats all good info, except about the over 18...how did emily get to meet JB? Meet & greet?

8. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

This is the study my daughter is in. She got the medication in April and goes back in April 09 for another 2 wks.

9. Twinklet

10. Twinklet

Cool! Can I ask where you are doing this study? Is it near me in CA or another place? :D

11. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Do you have any idea when the new generation navigator is coming out? I know it would be hard to predict when it would come out.... I am also curious if the built in meter will use freestyle lite strips, instead of regular freestyle strips. So far the navigator is going great! It gives very consistent readings.

12. Twinklet

Hi moco,

I have been unable to find out any information on this. :( I did hear that the sensor price may drop, though! (I hope so; if it doesn't, we may have to go with MM Guardian when the study is over and we're paying out of pocket). Oh, the new one will use the Freestyle Lite strips I was told.

We did get a very brief lecture on CGMS history. Apparently the Navigator has been in production longer than MM and Dexcom. It was started by Therasense more than 10 years ago and they ran out of money to finish their prototypes (something about the sensors having gold? I can't recall--the lecture went fast). They then began to manufacture the Freestyle strips to fund the Navigator sensor project. Then Therasense was purchased by Abbott in 2004, who took over the sensor project.

They did try to originally get approval to replace fingersticking, which was part of the FDA holdup (the other part had to do with their supply chain). They are still working on getting a more accurate sensor to replace fingersticking.

The consensus among the speakers was that Navigator was the most accurate sensor on the current market and apparently it's the only one to use Bluetooth (I thought Dexcom used Bluetooth, but I guess not :confused:).

Another interesting tidbit is that Dexcom originally started out to make an implantable sensor, not a removable external one. They finally made the external one to fund the implantable one, which is "pretty close" to clinical trials.

I'm really excited to see what new technologies are available when our pump warranty is up in 2010. All the major companies are upgrading and sensor technology will be greatly improved for all of us!!

13. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Thanks for sharing. Interesting information!

14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Wow, that's amazing! Thank you so much for the interesting information.

Dexcom couldn't use bluetooth, since the reception is limited. Bluetooth works well because in interference situations, the device will send the signal in a different frequency (which is inversely related to wavelength [reception distance]). This means that if the device sends at a lower frequency, the wavelength will be longer, which makes the reception a lot further than typical devices. Bluetooth is a powerful device! Call me a dork, but I only know this because I am studying electrical engineering! http://www.swedetrack.com/images/bluet11.htm

Gold conducts electricity better than any other metal material, except maybe platinum. This would make the sensor more sensitive to the electrical current running through the actual sensor and enzyme-which is used to figure out the sensor BG, and may possibly make the sensor more accurate.

I can't wait for the next gen! I also heard rumors from study questionaires that two transmitters may be used simultaneously in order to eliminate the 10 hour warm up/calibration gap. Once the other sensor is calibrated, the old one + the transmitter is removed.

It would be nice to have no gaps from data! That would be a dream come true!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  15. Twinklet

Thanks for the gold & wavelength explanation!

I complained about the 10-hour warmup and was told that ALL the devices really need to have at LEAST a 10-12 hour warmup because the tissue disturbance from insertion causes inaccuracies for that period of time. The Dexcom people were told to get around it by inserting a new sensor 24 hours before pulling the old one. Interestingly enough, the MM Rep said they were working on a 30-minute warm-up for the next generation CGMS. One of the scientists asked him how they were going to be able to do that and get accurate results and he didn't have an answer. I'm sure they will be able to work it out, though. Lots of interesting things coming our way, though!

16. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Here's the questions that a study participant answered regarding improvements with the navigator device. http://diabetesselfcare.blogspot.com/2007/01/cgm-trial-30-days.html BTW, this person has an extremely detailed blog about the navigator, which really helped me make my decision!

* Would you prefer to have your first calibration and readings begin at 2 hours rather than 10, even if it meant accuracy might be compromised for the first eight hours of readings?
    * If readings began with a first calibration at two hours, would you be willing to calibrate (with a finger stick test) every two hours for the first eight hours of readings?
    * Would you be willing to insert a new sensor and wear it with the old sensor on during the calibration period?
    * If the transmitter was half the size, would you mind if calibrations began at 10 hours?
    * Would you rather the unit length and width be reduced or the thickness?

Abbott knows that they need to continue improving the technology, and they have already brainstormed some good ideas. I hope you like this info.