- advertisement -

Other Autoimmunity??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaLibby, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We have a lot of autoimmunity in the family, not just type one.. Kayla was the first type one D in the family actually. I have graves and one other autoimmune disease. Noah has vitiligo and type one. My grandmother, mother, father all have history and my husbands side does as well. Nick has an immune disorder which leads to autoimmune disorders but so far so good :)

2. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

speak of the devil

I can't believe this...Just as I post this she has probably developed another allergy. WHAT?
    She jammed her ankle at tumbling last week and it was bothering her again this afternoon. Because tylonel messes with her CGM I gave her some motrin and sent her on her way. About an hour later she comes up to me and says "I thought I felt low, but I tested and I was 180. And I'm itchy." That "Low" feeling was actually an impending asthma attack (first in about a year), and she developed hives all over her torso and legs. Oy! She's had her inhaler and a double-dose of benedryl and I think she'll be fine, but man what a surprise! Breathing is much much better and the hives aren't bothering her too much, thankfully. Day in the life!

3. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

You've got your hands full!

Emily has multiple anaphylactic food allergies (milk, egg, wheat, barley, peanut, tree nuts, apricot, plum, oregano, and avoiding fish/shellfish); tested positive to 26/30 environmental allergens at 4 years old (started allergy shots at 4 1/2); diabetes at 2 1/2; she was having frequent critically low white counts and we thought she had cyclic neutropenia, but her hematologist now thinks she is making anti-neutrophil antibodies and gets sick every couple of weeks; allergic/erythema multiforme to penicillin, cephalosporin, clindamycin, avoiding sulfas; no official asthma, but she gets bronchospasms when she has respiratory infections and we have to use a nebulizer. We figure the chances are pretty high of her developing celiac if she ever outgrows her wheat/barley allergies.

Good luck!

Kelly

E 9--dx @ 2 1/2
    K 5