- advertisement -

OT-Food allergies in Non D kid...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by januaryblue, Jun 21, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

My oldest has been gluten free for almost a year and it has relieved a multitude of problems for her, everything from stomach issues to severe anxiety and panic attacks. She had allergy testing done July 2009 and the doctor called me with the results saying she was slightly allergic to wheat, sesame seeds and peanuts. On the advice of her therapist we went gluten free as he said he said he had seen some improvement in some people that did. I'm glad we did.

I took her in today because her fingertips get so dry they get to the point that they just crack and bleed. She's a pitcher on her softball team and it's very painful for her. We met with the nurse practioner as the regular doctor was on vacation and we started talking about food allergies. She started mentioning her results, some the regular doctor didn't mention, and I asked for a copy of the official results, since I never saw them. She came back as class 3 on wheat, sesame and peanuts. She was class 2 on corn and soybeans and class 1 on walnuts.

Anyone have any experience with multiple food allergies? I'm thinking about eliminating corn and soy, something she gets a lot of, to see if that helps improve her skin. Has anyone else dealt with excema like this?

I've not gotten much help from the multitude of doctors we've seen in her lifetime, most just say to use aquaphor and free and clear detergent...well, that's not helping. Hoping pinpointing food allergies will!

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Unfortunately I have a lot of personal experience with food allergies. I eat most of it anyway now, but as a kid there was not much I COULD eat.:rolleyes: I was allergic to corn and soy along with everything else you mentioned and more:(

I did not have eczema however, so they may or may not be related. My niece's have eczema and I think it's because their dad have the Endo problems gene, and their mom doesn't. So they got the milder auto immune issue. If that makes sense.

3. januaryblue

So sorry, Heather. I used to feel so sorry for kids I knew with food allergies...and now mine does. My dad had T1 and my husband side of the family has all the seasonal and food allergies...apparently it wasn't a good blend with certain things when it came to our kids. :(

The funniest thing is Samantha has a peanut allergy that we discovered when she broke out in hives at the age of 3 after eating a peanut. She has an epi-pen and everything. Her result on the food allergy test was 0.37 and Rebekah's was 3.95, much worse then her sisters! Samantha wanted to know if she'd have to get an epi-pen too!

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I can't speak to the food allergies directly, but both my boys have eczema.

Keeping the skin moisturized is the first line of defense.
    Luke warm, not hot showers/baths, slather them with a good thick moisturizing cream when they get out and the skin is still damp. The aquaphor is good, but it's pretty expensive. Cetaphil is good too, the tub of cream is better than the lotion. Bag balm is great, if you can get it. It's sticky and has an odd scent, but it does work wonders. If she'll do it, slather it on her hands before bed and then put cotton gloves on to help it really soak in.

A prescription cortisone cream is great to have around for flare-ups.

If they think it's allergy induced, antihistamines will help too.

Good luck.

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

my dd who has eczema doesn't have food allergies. Her eczema got so bad that I took her to the tanning beds---worked wonders.
    I put her in for 2-3 min a few times a week and did this for 2 weeks. She never got tan, but cleared it right up

This was only after I had exhaused all other means--steroid oils, lotions, etc

6. januaryblue

My mother in law had the problem all over her whole hands and was telling me yesterday that they used to put her hands in a little machine that gave off UV rays. She said it always helped her too. Weird. She seems to have outgrown it though, and I'm hoping my baby does too.

The doctors did give us a hydrocortizone ointment too. So hopefully using that short term will help. And I think I will eliminate corn and soy along with the gluten...we already don't do peanuts or sesame since her sister is allergic to peanuts. I guess I won't give her soynut butter anymore either though!

It amazes me how corn and soy are in everything though.:eek:

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Can't help on the food allergies (I have bad allergies, but skin allergies [hives] and they think there might be a food triggering it sometimes but no luck on figuring out what it is). But I have dealt with eczema, worse this year than ever before. Usually it's localised to my hands, but now it's much worse. :( I'm still struggling with it, but I find that E45 cream (not sure if you get that in the US) applied very regularly helps quite a lot. But, like I said, I'm far from being 'cured' yet, lol.

8. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Unfortunately, we have lots of experience with multiple food allergies. My T1 daughter is allergic to milk, egg, wheat, barley (so gluten free), peanuts, tree nuts, and avoiding fish. Did you see an allergist for her testing? I'm just curious because the response you got seems pretty casual for class 3 food allergies. I probably would ask for an EpiPen. It's better to have and never use than wish you had one. Also, if she is allergic and keeps getting exposed, she could just have the eczema now and have a more severe reaction later on. I guess if it was me, I'd cut out the wheat, sesame, and peanuts and see how things go. Corn and soy are hard and if you think she's tolerating them ok I might let her keep eating them. An allergist might say different though. As for the eczema, my younger daughter has it pretty bad on her hands. We've been using triamcinalone cream and it's helping. My mom used to do the cream and cotton gloves at night too and it helped a lot. Also, I've heard really good things about bleach baths. I'm not sure the concentration, pretty dilute, but you could probably google it.

Good luck!
    Kelly

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I started getting hives for no apparent reason...It took a long time but I finally figured out that it was my laundry detergent. I hadn't switched or anything, they just started adding more water softeners to the one I had used for a long time. When I switched to ALL FREE and washed all my clothes and the rest of the families clothes in it. It FINALLY went away. Unless I touch someone that uses Tide or Cheer, then I get hives again:rolleyes: