- advertisement -

OT: complete fear of dogs and cats

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ivan's Mum, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

my son goes in to orbit if he is near a dog or cat. Yesterday a puppy chaced him (it was smaller than a cat) and he was so petrified I realised I have to do something about it.

Bar throwing him in a cage with one, has anyone got some suggestions. He won't pass a cat on a driveway... it's starting to affect him severely.

I am starting to loose sympathy for it. He'll go on a cork screw rollercoaser but don't show him a family pet!

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Abby has a fear of dogs and cats. I wish I knew the answer for you.
    Abby got knocked over at the age of 3 by a bulldog that wanted to lick her to death- she got so scared, she slumped to a noodle, eyes rolled back in her head, and started to shake like a seizure in my arms. No joke.
    Since then I get down on my knee, while Abby hides behind me and I pet the animal to show her it's nice. Cats aren't sooooo bad because 9 times out of 10 they stay away from you. But dogs scare the daylights out of her. :confused:

3. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Dogs and cats have a fear of my son...maybe we can just pair them up. Then dogs won't go near them. :D

My daughter is sort of the same way, but she's getting better. We just didn't react (or over react) to her fear. We would hold a dog back (like grandma's retriever) but we wouldn't put the dog outside. Eventually she wanted to play with her toys so she got down from my lap and dealt with the dog in the room.

Good luck,

Charmed

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

You need a family pet!!
    Take him to the petshop and let him choose his own cute little kitten or puppy :D It will win him over.
    I'd prefer my kids to be a bit cautious with animals (especially dogs) that I don't know.
    (or I could post you up a cute little hedgehog :rolleyes:)

5. taximom

taximom Approved members

That's a good idea. Maybe start with something small, like a hamster.

6. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Oh that must be so hard on you all! I am sorry I have no advice as my kids are the complete opposite: I can't keep them away from any (even unknown) animal!!! I tell them to be cautious but they just want to cuddle and snuggle all furry 4-legged creatures :cwds:

7. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

My non-d middle child was terrified of animals. We finally decided to get a dog- a very old, friendly dog. It took a little time, but she finally desensitized and grew to love her. It made her being around other animals a little easier, although she is still quite cautious. At least she doesn't go into hyperventilate mode now.

When we first got the dog, she refused to go into the back yard to play (the fenced in back yard is where the dog lived, along with the playhouse, trampoline, swingset, etc.) She would watch her brother and sister play. Then she decided she would go outside if we would chain up the dog while she was out there. She finally got to where she would pet the dog while chained. Lastly, she would go outside without having to chain the dog. The process to a few months.

8. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

My nieces are terrified of our Golden Retrievers. Well, the 4yr old has now made friends after our daily efforts in showing her how the dogs just want to play. The other niece is still terrified, but now after 2 years we ignore it instead of protecting her. She will come around. I agree....a family pet would help. How about one of these....

[​IMG]

We have 4 left from a litter of 8!!! It would be perfect! My gift to your son :D LOL

9. Ivan's Mum

great, what's shipping to new zealand?

Jane, did you not notice how cautious he was with the headgehog?

Ivan won't go to a house if there is a cat in the drive. He's itching to get to see his friend, and if I won't go with him he gets to there house and turns around and comes back again due to ...... a cat.

10. lynn

lynn Approved members

I grew up terrified of dogs. Absolutely terrified.
    As I got older I didn't totally fall apart to the outside world, but if I would just SEE a dog I could feel myself get anxious. And if I were AROUND a dog a full-blown panic attack was on its way!
    It was crazy. I would tell myself that I was acting like a loon, but I didn't believe me.
    We finally got a puppy. Now we own two big, black dogs. Living with them has been what I needed. Getting a playful puppy helped me learn the language of dogs without the intense fear.
    I would suggest buying your son a kitten or puppy.
    Lynn

11. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

I'm terrified of this one...

They were created to hunt and defend from Lions, and Cape Buffalo, and crazy Rhinos.
    (I'm joking: He's actually pretty sweet, really.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Kelly-OMG those puppies are so adorable! I've always wanted a Golden Retriever but a dog just isn't for us at this point in our lives (so busy and dh has allergies besides). But Lia and I would love one.

13. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Those dogs are adorable! I love the one in the very back, his/her color.

14. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

We have a 15 year old dog that is very calm and sedate.

Our 8yo DD, Christina, was constantly "nipped" at when she was 4yo by the neighbor's new puppy as we would go outside to get in our suburban. (They did not observe the leash laws!)

Now she is terrified of dogs.

Fast forward....we decided to get a new dog to train as an alert dog (low BG) for Melissa. Christina agreed to help us choose a dog. Well, it was fine for about 2 days and now she will not enter the house unless the dog is behind a baby gate or outside in the backyard.

We did have a good day Tuesday. Max was sedated from neuter surgery. Christina had no problem sitting beside him an petting him all afternoon and evening. However, yesterday we were back to pure terror at the sight of him.

Max is a typical puppy, 4 months old, (a little hyper at times) but not agressive. I am going crazy trying to keep them apart until she finally warms up to him. He is doing well on obedience training.

He is now housebroken and ready to move into Melissa's room to sleep beside her and begin low BG alert training. Problem is...the sisters share a room. Looks like Christina might have to move downstairs to the couch.:)

My now 19yo DS was frightened by a dog when he was around 2. At the age of 4 he asked for a pet. Hence the 15yo dog first mentioned. DS was fine with him from day one.

The saga continues...

15. lynn

lynn Approved members

You know, my parents always kept dogs away from me as a kid. They made my grandparents and uncle lock their dogs outside when we were around. They always got mad at people who brought dogs around me.
    I think that was the wrong approach for me. I think that it validated my fear. Maybe if I had been forced to face my fear I wouldn't have grown up so terrified.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Lynn

16. hold48398

OMG Kelly, they are BEAUTIFUL!!! We already have a Golden and a Lab...hmm maybe I can convince the hubby that we need another one!!!!:)

17. hold48398

Hehe Rick I cannot believe your dog let you put that on his head!!! Mine wouldve ripped that right off and eaten it instead LOL.

18. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

Not to go off topic but OMG!!! Those puppies are adorable!!!

Our collie is getting up there and I've been debating as to when is a good time to get a pup. We want to get a Golden as I love the temperament and we want to try to train it to be a "service dog" that detects hypos. Also, Golden hair doesn't show as much on my cream carpets and it doesn't weave itself into carpet and fabrics like lab hair does.

I'm not ready to commit to a new family member yet but I've been doing some research about the whole service dog process.

Does anybody here use their dog as a service dog or know about it? Is it worth the cost?

19. Ivan's Mum

I'm thinking of taking Van to the SPCA (cat/dog shelter) today just to be around animals and just get a good idea that their life ain't so grand sometimes.

You'll probably hear the screeching from the US.

We went on a school trip to the zoo yesterday and they have big glass walls between you and the lions. I looked back at the photos of the group of kids I took, all up against the glass in awe. Ivan.... nowhere to be seen.

20. KatelinsMom

KatelinsMom Approved members

I was scared of other people's dogs when I was growing up. We had dogs, but I was not scared of them. I was particularly scared of a German shepherd that belonged to some friends of my parents. He was huge.. One day we went over for a visit and I came running into the house crying and screaming. My parents jumped up thinking perhaps something terrible happened. They knew I was afraid of this big dog and asked if he bit me and I said "NO...but he tasted me." Tasting is the first step before biting..right? :eek: