- advertisement -

OT: A simple phone call

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Mar 28, 2008.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

My husband is on the phone with one of his brother Craig's daughters..This is the daughter that no one knew about, and Craig had an affair with her mother while he was in the middle of a divorce from his first wife. Yeah, it was a mess, and no one knew this child existed for many years. She was at her father's funeral and took pictures of Craig. She never got to know her father, which I find very sad.

Anyway, Mark is on the phone with this girl who is now 26 and he relayed a message I wanted her to know..That no matter what happened in the past that she is family and I am her Aunt and Mark is her uncle..

Of course I am crying my eyes out for her loss and her gain..She may have lost her father, but she has gained at least an Aunt and Uncle who are more than willing to claim her as family.

I do not know why this has turned me into a blubbering idiot..I guess I know what it is like to always have wanted to belong to a family and to be accepted by them..

I never knew my father's brother, they were not on good terms, so I did not ever get to meet him before he died nor did I ever meet my cousins..This has always been a painful spot for me..

And I am happy that Mark reached out to this girl and told her she will always be family..

My niece, was crying out of happiness for being told that we consider her family and always will..

Wow this just hit me so hard, harder than I thought it would. I urged Mark to call her and to tell her I wanted her to know that no matter what the rest of his family felt toward her that I will always consider her family..

2. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

That is very sweet of you. Almost the exact same thing has happen in our family also. Sometimes something terrible can still bring us a little happiness. Now at least a little of him is still alive.

3. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Teddi.. I am going thru the same exact thing here... mine is about an aunt and uncle.. my grandmother was married once befor.. THey only one that new what my mean grandfather that died befor i was born =...My mean grandfater was an abusive drunk so you could never trust words out of his mouth.. HE told my auth faith about my grandma's prev marriage and that she had 2 kids karen and a robert.. and that his real name was samual ... not steven.. that was in the 1960 when he told her that when my auth was 16... You where not alowed to talk to my grandmother about anything in her past due to being abused by her family.. well ff to last year and my aunt told me about this so i decied to do a family tree... I traced my tree back to the early 1800's, and found someone that had my great great great grandfater in there family tree too.. I emailed them to see if they where willing to share.. I gave no details.. the email i got back was hi my name is karen i have brother named robert... explained that she believed my grandmother was her mohter and she left in the 1950's when she left with the neightbor samual... that was 10/2007......she lookes just like my grandmother and my aunt... Well i have gotten to know both my aunt karen and uncle bob very well.. my uncle bob just died.. It has completly broken my heart. but its nice knowing that i was able to provide peice to him befor he died.. he was very angry at his mom ( my grandmother), Which i dont blame him, she abondon him and karen as young kids. but he was given closure.. Ironically he died of the exact thing that killed my grandmother.. Congestive heart failure. my grandmother died befor ever seeing them agian. and my mother was killed when i was only 6.. so its always been my aunt faith, us 4 kids and our kids.. I was so honored to be able to call her one morning back in october letting her know that she has a sister and a brother...

i feel your pain and excitement all at the same time... I am happy to know you are all welcoming her with open arms

4. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I just got off of the phone with one of my sister-in-laws and unfortunately she does not share my feelings toward this girl..And she voiced her opinion of the matter to me..

Which is too bad, the girl is an innocent person in all of this and it is a shame that other family members would turn their backs on her.

This really pissed me off with my sister-in-law..But there is nothing I can do about it..Maybe some day they will come around