- advertisement -

OPverwhelmed with My Sentry and Medtronic Real time Revel Pump!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, Nov 2, 2012.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

My son is now using the Medtronic CGM System with Revel Pump and My Sentry. Does anyone have a promblem with the signal to the monitor?
    Also I am thinking I soooooooooooo need another training on this pump!
    His finger prick meter says one thing the Pump Graph says another. We calibrate and it seems the two are still way off! I went so far to compare I used his one touch ping pump it stated 323 the medtronic meter stated 253 and pump stated like 134 with a low predictor? Any reasoning? I need help understanding all this. :(

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well. In my opinion, the first thing you should do is to get yourself an accurate meter. We prefer the Accu-Chek Aviva. No, it does not link to the pump, but it has never given me cause to doubt its accuracy. Whereas, in our experience, One Touch meters are random number generators at high BG. Your CGM will not be accurate if your meter is not accurate.

That being said, if we saw a high number on the meter, and a low number with a low predict on the CGM, I would think one of two things: (1) If it was nighttime, I'd suspect a false low. This can happen when they lay on the sensor wrong and it compresses it too much. (2) A dying sensor. (3) It would also be possible to have wacky numbers right after a new sensor is started. We avoid that by inserting a new sensor the night before we take the old one off, and letting it just soak in for a day before we switch the transmitter over.

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Just my two cents -

Are you just starting the pump AND the cgm system?

I tried starting both at the same time with my son, but I was WAY Too overwhelmed with all of the insertions and numbers that I was going to have a breakdown. Finally, with recommendation of my doctor, I took 2 months off from CGMing and focused on learning the pump.

After two months we went back to the CGM. I use it periodically right now because my son hates the insertion.

But putting time between learning these two technologies definitely made it easier for me. Hope this helps.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We don't have a MySentry, but we had problems with Weak Signal Alerts in the beginning at night. We learned the pump had to be clipped to the back of my daughter's pjs right near the sensor to avoid them.

We also use the Aviva meter for its accuracy. Are you careful with calibrations? That makes a HUGE difference with Medtronic. There are posts by Darryl that explain how to calibrate carefully. We usually get most readings between 5 & 15 points off the meter. There are lots of tricks to get a bad reading back on, too, like telling it New Sensor rather than waiting for 4 calibrations to wipe out a way-off number.

We have the predictive alerts turned off. Too many alarms annoy my daughter, and we haven't found them that beneficial. We have the low set at 80, and it usually catches her while she's still in the 70s or upper 60s. It's helped her feel her lows sooner, too, and often she's already tested and treated in the 70s before it begins alarming, avoiding the stress of lows on her body.

Hang in there. The CGM is so valuable in diabetes management.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We just got the MySentry about a month ago. We have problems with the signal during the night, and my DS is right next to the outpost. However during the day, we rarely see signal problems, and he's all over the house. On nights where there seem to be signal issues, I just mute the alarm. I wake up so often anyway, I just need to see the BG on the monitor. I rarely need the alarm, just seeing the number is worth it enough for me.

The CGM is great. It is a valuable tool in my opinion, and I would try to stick with it. Stay simple for a while. Don't use the alerts / alarms, just let it "be there", and watch it. Then, add in one or two alarms, like the highs and lows. We still don't use the predictive alerts. We also have the low alarm set at 80.

Calibrating can be fussy. It seemed so overwhelming at first, we didn't know when to do anything. But you'll get the hang of it.

You'll get your routine down too. It took us a while to get ours figured out. On day one, we do numbing cream at 3:30, insert sensor and put transmitter on charger at 4:00, take transmitter off charger at 4:15 and attach to sensor, then put Tegaderm tape over it, and do "start new sensor" on the pump. Then when the pump says "BG now" we test, calibrate, wait 15 minutes, then do dinner insulin and have dinner. Then we calibrate again 15 minutes before bedtime snack.

6. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I was told by a medtronic customer service rep not to calibrate more than 4-5 times a day and that after the first reading is entered at hour 2 to do another calibration reading in 2-3 hours instead of waiting for the next calibration at 4 hours. Also to not do calibrations when blood sugars rapidly changing - ie after a meal or physical activity. We were also told that we will get weak signals during the night bc we input the sensor in our sons rearend which when he is laying on his back the sensor is pushed into the matress and has problems communicating back to the transmitter along with the possibility of other radio wave frequencies in the area that may cause problems - wifi internet, police radios, truckers radios ect.

Our CGM has been high by 100 points at one time and right on the next day. I set our alarms to 75 for low and 325 for high due to it going off so much bc it was off

7. Dan

Dan Approved members

I don't have any experience with the Metronics CGM, but I agree 100% about using a meter that is accurate. I have been using the Accu-Chek Nano and have been very impressed with the accuracy. I had similar issues with my Dexcom 7+ being off by 100 points from time to time. Especially during the night. I have been using the new Dexcom G4 the past 7 days and numbers have been amazing only off by 6-10 points when in the 200s and less than that when under 100.