- advertisement -

Opinions on this book?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BellasMom, Sep 27, 2009.

1. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

Has anyone read "No Sugar Added"? It's by a young girl with diabetes. It's a fairly new book I believe. I've been thinking about ordering it for my daughter as I can't find it at the libaray. Just hoping to see what others thought about it before I get it.

Thanks!

2. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Can you provide more information about the book? Is it the one talked about on TuDiabetes?

3. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

4. Kris4

Kris4 Approved members

I just read the excerpt. It looks like a great book. I am thinking of getting it now too.:)

5. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

I bought it... just to support the young author. She is very honest and informed, but she is from England where care is a little different. I have not given the book to Gregory (age 10) because she talks in the book about how to hide diabetes and being embarrassed about it. Gregory is not embarrassed about his diabetes at all and he proudly wears his pump in a pump pouch for all to see. I worry that if I give him the book, he may start to think that it is something to be embarrassed about. Just my opinion. -Allison

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I watched most of a BBC interview with her and while I applaud her achievement I doubt that I would learn much from reading a book about D written by a 14 year old, one year in. Nor would I expect that her experience would have much resonance with Maddie. But that's a function of age, experience, cultural norms etc - I'm sure it could be of great interest to another reader.:cwds: