- advertisement -

Opinions on Knoxville area endos desired!

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Kent T, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Hi all CWD folks,

I may be needing an endocrinologist soon. I live in Athens, TN, 60 miles between Knoxville and Chattanooga, TN. Which endos do you like? Thanks! Need someone who is familiar with Pumps and CGMS. Pump with Animas right now.

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We use Dr. Wirthwein at ETCH (Knoxville) and really like her. I believe Seans Mom goes to her as well. The office is great. Nat loves to go. She immediately heads to the play room and starts picking out toys and/or games, and they usually have a therapy dog visiting. They do the bloodwork as soon as we get there, and they do a1cs by finger stick. We see the endo, dietician, CDE, and a couple other people each visit. It usually takes a good 2 hours.

They are supportive of pumps although, to be honest, I have a couple friends who are frustrated with the pump start just due to the slow speed at which changes are being made. If you are already pumping, that wouldn't be an issue. I have mentioned CGMS in the past to her. Her comment was that most of the people who they have put on CGMS stop using it after a few months, so they do not encourage it. That said, if I pushed for it, I'm pretty sure they would do it. We just were not ready for it ourselves. I'm waiting for the Animas/Dex integration.

Dr. Wirthwein has been great as a support role. We were already making pump adjustments on our own, and she has been fine with that since Nat is doing well.

Whenever we have had an illness or emergency, they have been very good to get back to me in a timely manner with good instructions.

Overall, we've been very pleased! Hope that helps!

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Sorry my earlier post was entirely irrelevent. I saw your post when I went under "New Posts" and didn't realize you were an adult looking for an endo. Can't help you there! Oops:eek:!

4. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Hi,

Dr. Werthwein is our children's endo. He lives 4 doors over from our Knoxville house. He does assist us grownups and is often our babysitter. Very good with the children.