- advertisement -

Opinions on GPS systems...?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Heather(CA), Sep 7, 2010.

1. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Good choice. It's a really slick unit. I dig the bluetooth speakerphone, too.

Be sure to register in the next 60 days or so, otherwise you lose your qualification for a free map update. https://my.garmin.com/maps/nuMaps.htm

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Thanks! :D

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I got dh a Garmin at Costco for his birthday. Not sure which. I'm pretty clueless. Ryan wanted me to get the Tom Tom because apparently they have different voices...reportedly you could get Beavis and/or Butthead to insult you while you drive. :D

4. Heather(CA)

The guy at Costco actually told me NOT to get the Tom Tom because he said they get returned a lot more often.

My Garmin has a hot soundimg Australian mans voice that I have mine programed to. I've been calling him my new boyfriend LOL

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I had a brief fling with Australian Karen, but alas, she was too wordy, saying things like "I four hundred and ninety-five" instead of "I four ninety five" so I dumped her. Those three extra syllables cost her, so I'm back with plain old American Jill.

In all seriousness, I find the men's voices too deep to hear over road noise.

6. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I have had a Tom Tom One for a couple of years and other than me forgetting to update it and the occasional scenic route it has worked great. Really the only problems I have had with it was going from Fresno to Firebaugh, it was trying to send me on a 2 hour sightseeing tour through farmland roads between fields LOL

7. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Oh...you trying to come visit me??? LOL!

I have a Garmin. After Garmin replacing my unit two times...I'm still having problems with the third unit cycyling off, and on every two minutes. After talking to tech support again FINALLY they have figured why its cycling. Its the power plugs! My Garmin does not cycle when its unplugged. (runs off rechargeable batteries). They are sending me another new power plug.

I love my Garmin. Their Tech support have been great, and they have over nighted my Garmin to me, with out extra charge.

My girls enjoy watching the time of arrival and how many miles are left to travel.

I agree with Scott...register your unit!! Even if you dont..Garmin can still determine when you bought your unit, once it plugged into the computer and using their web updater program.

8. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

love my garmin nuvu ...i do wish i would have spent the extra money to get the next level up one that actually showed lanes and lane changes on highways instead of just turn right ect....i even enjoy it just around town it helps me with my speed and being on time lol

9. Heather(CA)

My boss's GPS took us on a scenic route to Firebaugh too. I was like Ummm, I wouldn't go this way but do what you think is right LOL. I have not been to faiebaugh with my new "Boyfriend" yet:p I will let you know how it goes :)

10. Heather(CA)

Hmmm, maybe my boyfriend is smarter than your ex LOL:D:D:D

11. kas77

kas77 Approved members

I just recently learned the value of updating your map before a long trip. My current map is about 3 years old and didn't even recognize the new highway we were driving on to go to New Brunswick so it kept telling me to make a u-turn. Other times it would tell me to take the next left, but there would be no road on the left where it said to do it because they had hanged to roads and now the exit was on the right so I would be driving up and down the road looking for the exit that was no longer there.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Great thread.. I've had a garmin for about 3 years.. maybe 4:eek: and haven't updated the maps, again:eek:. Its tried to have me exit a rotary through an onramp (thank god I have a brain :D), make a u-turn just to get on a highway, and bring me to roads that aren't even there.. I still love it though.. it gets me where I want to go, even if I have a little excitement along the way.. We are probably going to get a new one instead of updating the maps.. my DH would like one for his car as well..

Oh, and I call mine Mom.. so when she tells me to turn, I say 'yes, mom'.. my kids think its hilarious.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a Garmin. Bought it about 2 or 3 years ago. I also need to update my maps never had. The Garmin customer service actually told me it was cheaper to buy the upgraded maps through amazon I think , than through them. Only thing about mine it seems to be slow to connect to satilites .

We have fun sometime and change the lady to be from Australia. Instead of Wood Drive she would say Wood Doctor. LOL

14. Heather(CA)

If you guys have Costco memberships, you can get lifetime map updates for about $85 bucks :) Here's the link :)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...Desc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC3-Cat79&topnav=

I just checked the Garmin website and it's only $5 bucks cheaper at costco:rolleyes:

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Heather, I thought your thread was Omnipods on GPS?
    See how one track my mind is?:D

I have the Garmin Nuvi and am overall pretty happy with it. I've only had a few problems, one in RI, where the new road wasn't synced with the factory setting, in CT in the back roads of Greenwich where everyday it would send us home a different way from camp (even though they were over hill, dale roads where there's no traffic), and sometimes in Boston in gets a little wonky (I don't blame Garmin, I blame Boston for having funky roads).

Overall, I'm really happy with it. If you do a lot of city traveling, then the updates are important and probably worth the investment.