- advertisement -

Operating pump at school entirely on their own

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dylan'sMom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Dylan'sMom

Dylan'sMom Approved members

Brooke starts 3rd grade this year. She is starting to become really independent with her care to the point that I'm comfortable with her doing most of her care at school with no assistance. The nurse is there and always checks over dosages before Brooke injects herself but for all other matters, if she does need help, the nurse only helps when Brooke asks for it. However, Brooke starting pumping a little more than a month ago and I'm not sure if operating her pump is something I want the nurse to handle or whether I want to let Brooke do it. She goes back to school in about 3 weeks so I would have that much time to teach her the basic things I think she needs to know to operate her pump at school. She is independent and told us at the end of last school year she didn't want the nurse doing everything for her anymore but I don't know if a pump is something that an 8 year old can learn to manage in just a few weeks. Any suggestions?

2. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I feel like this is kind of a tough one, and depends on the child..My son will bolus himself at school, (he is going in to the 3rd grade too) but I make sure to tell the nurse she needs to check every step of the way..He gets in a rush to get back to his friends and go outside..I just don't want him to be in a rush and mess up.. So he does do it but with the nurse right over his shoulder..A lot of the times last year she would have to tell him slow down..:D

3. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

I agree that this is a very individual thing and depends on what you and your child are comfortable with.
    Connor was dx in December of first grade and was on a pump by that Spring. He has never liked going to the nurse so had a lot of motivation to learn what he needed to know to take care of everything at school. Since the first day of second grade he has done all testing, treating and bolusing on his own in the classroom. He takes his lunch everyday so I write the carbs on a card in his lunchkit along with what type of bolus he needs to do. While the class is getting ready for lunch he tests and boluses then gets in line with his class. No one double checks him. I trust him to do the bolus on his own.
    He will be in 5th grade this year and so far no issues doing it this way.
    All kids are different and you have to find what works for you and your child at your comfort level. This is what works for us.

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I agree that it is an individual thing with each child.

Maybe you would just want to have the nurse supervise that she is entering the correct numbers on the pump for the first while and then slowly back off?

Most kids are quick learners when it comes to electronic devices...most times quicker than the adults. :rolleyes:

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I trust that my 9 yr old can work the pump correctly. She knows every step and can count carbs accurately. I can't trust her to bolus every single time she eats! If something more interesting is going on or she's in a hurry then she'll just ignore the "YOU HAVE TO BOLUS FOR FOOD" rule. :(
    The school write down for us the carbs and amount of insulin while Rachel does it. It just means it does get done.. :cwds:

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son got his pump at 5, and knew how to operate it for boluses by 6. He does not, however, know how to count carbs or do any of the other functions such as temp basals, etc. The nurses still do his boluses at school, but he could do it on his own if someone tells him the carbs.