- advertisement -

OOoops! Units instead of carbs.

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by GChick, Aug 14, 2014.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Yep. That's what I did. Meant to give enough for 18 grams of carbs (meaning 1.13 units) and gave 18 UNITS! That was fun.

This morning I was gonna give for 20 carbs and entered it, but didn't follow through yet and changed my mind that I'd only do for 18 grams of carbs and that's when I mistakenly hit units instead. So it CAN happen... but only if you are REALLY not paying attention. Purely my fault.

Wasn't paying attention and clicked through. Only right before I left home this morning did I see it... 19.5 IOB. WHAT?!?

Bin on 0 basal ever since about 7:20 this am (its now 12:30pm)... with a brief stint (20-30 minutes) at 50% basal since I got up to 119 and figured it was over... it wasn't... as I dropped back to 71 shortly after. Have 0% set for the next 15 minutes or so and gave a lil less for lunch than usual, so after that, it should all be fine.

One Coke, two lil bottles of juice and 2 lil packs of fruit snacks later and I think it is almost all out now. Luckily I was a little high when I gave that dose (but didn't know, so didn't add in more for the high when giving the dose) so I'm sure that helped. Have not been below 71 nor above 119 yet since it first started dropping, so that's good.

Am now very glad for the whole max bolus thing (after this, might consider reducing it to 12 units or so)... I can "feed" 18 units, I could not feed 60, or 105 units (in which I can easily eat 105 carbs in one sitting) if a mistake like that ever happened.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm glad you're ok. How scary! The max bolus feature is one of those things I rarely think about, but this makes me very thankful for it.