- advertisement -

One Year ago Today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Jan 4, 2011.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

My turn for a year ago today post :)

One year ago today I could finish a post without a Dex beeping at me ;)
    now I know what a Dex is :cool: and how to use it!

One year ago today DS was down to 83 lbs (2 weeks from his 13th birthday!)
    now he is around 125
    ..... I was at a decent weight
    now I'm way over a decent weight :eek: (too much carb counting not enough calorie counting!)

...... DS was peeing in the bed at night
    now I don't get to sleep through the night. :p

Truly amazing the difference one day can make - one day he was "normal" the next day he was diabetic. One day he ate whatever, whenever without any worry or prep. The next day he had to have a finger poke and an injection before he could eat. One day I was concerned because he was getting so skinny, the next day I was terrified because he had a lifelong, life-threatening disease that I would be in charge of treating!!
    I still remember how I felt when the nurse told me "six months from now you will call us and tell us what changes you made to his insulin" Utter disbelief. I remember how nervous I was about taking him home. Torn between staying in the "safety" of the hospital and wanting so badly to be at home.
    I remember his first prescription fill. I didn't know that if I got the insulin and needles at the same time, the needles would be free. So paid for needles, got them home (right before a rare ice/snow storm in our area) to find out they were the wrong ones! (didn't have 1/2 units)

Today I'm glad he's alive, and very glad our lives are much more "normal" now. Here is hoping that 2011 is a much calmer year for us. And a good year for everyone on the board.

2. Pepper1

Pepper1 Approved members

HI Kim

My beautiful 13 year old daughter was dx'd on 4 March 2010, last year, so we are now in the same boat, and yes she is very skinny also, yes, its so bizarre, that one day, life seems "normal" although she was already colieac, and then bingo your teenager is in hospital for a week, and nurses and doctors are talking about things, so totally foreign to you, and its way too much to take in. Yes, I remember the drive home and thinking how the hell will we cope, but I so desp wanted my baby back home again also, away from that sterile environment.

Rushed into the world of carb counting, insulin dosage, hypo's, (I will never forget the first at home!!), school life, and most of all the VILLAGE IDIOTS, telling me how to look after my type 1 child, all those stupid comments!!!!

Still trying to educate those dickheads, including family members!!

Sigh, thinking of you on the 10th of Jan, you have done well, to get this far,
    its a hard row to hoe, to put it mildly!!!

Also its an unfair row for any family to live with, and also frightening at times.

These kids don't deserve this crap lifestyle.

Pepper1

Laura 14 type 1, and col.
    Adam not dx'd
    Husband - still here, sheep farmer

3. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

You have a great way with words! (((hugs))) You have done an awesome job!

4. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

OMG, I was thinking the same thing, your wording is beautiful!

I can't even think about our diagnosis day...