- advertisement -

One week in: Dexcom worth every penny!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Nov 26, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Today is my daughter's 7th day on wearing the G4. I have to say, on the whole, it's been great. It's made me a lot more aware of post meal spikes - some are crazy high, some are negligible. That alone makes me scratch my head.

She had a couple of evenings where it took me until 1:00 a.m. to get her in range, but even though those days stunk, it was nice to have more knowledge of what was happening in between finger sticks.

I would say the negatives are: I wish the range were longer, and it has made me slightly obsessed with the numbers. Especially when she's high. I am constantly checking it to see when she turns to head back down. I'm trying to be careful with not over treating with insulin, but it's harder than it was with just finger pricks.

2. MissionsMom

MissionsMom Approved members

Yay! Awesome. Glad you're enjoying it. I'm on the fence. We're waiting for our Tslim. Endo will proceed with the order after our appointment on the 13th. We'll think harder about the Dexcom after we get used to the pump. My ds is not real interested in a second site, and I'm concerned about losing the receiver. He'd have to take it to school, and everywhere else he goes. Makes me nervous! How is your dd handling that? Does she carry it in her backpack, or wear it somehow? Do you have the receiver in your room at night, or can you hear alarms where it is? Hope your experience continues to be great. Thanks for any info you can share.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have a case for the Dex so that we can slide it onto his pump pouch belt when he goes off to school or any other place we're not around. Considering that he left his SHOES on the bus last year :rolleyes:, he needs to wear it.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

She has a tallygear band (the one with no velcro) and it has like 6 pockets, so she puts it in there, pump in one pocket, dex in another.

That's my biggest complaint. I read about how people can put the receiver in a central location and have it read all over the house, or even when their child is outside but she can't. I suppose it does get the 20 feet as advertised, but that's about it, and much less if there is a closed door between the transmitter and the receiver.

For consistent readings, the furthest away I can keep it at night is on the bathroom counter outside her bedroom (her bedroom shares a wall with the bathroom). I bought a baby monitor and have the receiver in the bathroom and the parent unit in my bedroom.

I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it in my bedroom because our house is unusual in that the kids' bedrooms are on the main level and the master bedroom is up on the second floor (1950's ranch that was expanded upward by the former owners).

I tried to keep it on the couch in the living room until I went to bed (same level as her bedroom), and in the kitchen overnight (again, same level) but it sporadically went out of range even with her door open. I don't know - it just doesn't travel well through walls or even down halls in my house.

I'll give serious consideration to the Share system when it comes out in order to actually be able to see the graph without going downstairs, but right now we don't have the extra smartphone that is needed to operate it.

Even without being on the same floor as the receiver, it was worth its weight in gold last night. I have the mother of all head colds and last night, she was in range at 10:00pm, so I set the alerts on attentive (loud), put the receiver by the baby monitor, went upstairs with my bottle of Nyquil and went to bed knowing that it would wake me up if she went out of range. I slept straight through. It was heaven and much needed!

5. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

One thought for you with it going out of range - try different sites on her body. for some reason we get crazy good range with sites on the arm or the thighs, but with the sites on my son's bum I had a lot of range problems, not getting near the distance that we do with the other sites. Just an idea.

Glad you like it, for me I don't know how I could treat diabetes without it. I am a little obsessed with the numbers too, but it gives me the security of knowing what is going on, not just guessing - because my son doesn't give any warning signs at all.

6. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Yay! We've had it for almost a month now..and even with sensors not staying on, we love it.

DS lost his transmitter at school on Thursday when the sensor fell out. He didn't even know it had fallen off :( I called Dexcom Friday morning and we had a new sensor and transmitter on our doorstep yesterday morning. I can't say enough about their customer service. I also didn't realize how much we had come to rely on it until we didn't have it this weekend and had to get up every 2-3 hours to check him!

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Amen! We have had our dexcom for about 3 months and we LOVE IT!