- advertisement -

One Touch meter comparisons?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Apr 16, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi All,

I am looking into a new meter for DD. I love the compact size of the UltraMinis, but I am getting to where I would like to be able to tag some things...mostly so her Diabetes team will understand some of her wacky numbers.

Our insurance (Kaiser) ONLY covers One Touch meters. period. end of story.
    As I said, we have been using the Minis, and we have an Ultra that we got at diagnosis but haven't used in forever. I was interested in the UltraSmart, but the pharmacist I talked with said the highest model they have is the Ultra 2.

My Question is...what is the difference between the Ultra and Ultra 2? Just the backlight? Is it worth paying to upgrade just to the Ultra 2? I would have to pay the OTC price for the UltraSmart. Does anyone think that would be worth it? Or not?

Opinions welcome!:)

2. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

one touch has a new meter that is the VerioIQ - a lady I talked at our Endo's office today said she has been using it as they got a demo in and she likes that one as it has alot of features to alert you to different patterns and you can add things to it. she said it looks like an ipod.
    But my son's insurance needs prior authorization for it and the test strips would be at our highest co-pay.
    As for getting a new meter our pharmacy said that she can get meters for us from her reps if we need something if they have it with them when they come

3. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

I would love the Verio IQ, but I doubt Kaiser will cover it. It uses it's own particular kind of strips and has already been recalled. Plus, if they are not even carrying the UltraSmart, yet...well, let's just say I'm not holding my breath. Here's hoping though! :)