- advertisement -

On the edge of jumping into pumping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lynnh, Dec 26, 2009.

1. lynnh

lynnh Approved members

OK, so I have a 3yo dd dx 15 months ago and wwe're still on lantus and humalog injections. Have been to PUMP classes at local children's hospital. Decided to go with Animas because of low dosing ability. Afraid of yet another change. Hearing a lot of positive things about pumps on this site. Feedback?

2. Norsewitch

Norsewitch Approved members

We have been pumping for about a month or more now. It is great to not have to give so many shots, and the convenience of being able to dose anywhere or anytime. It is alot to get your mind around. In the beginning of pumping it is like when they were first diagnosed. You second guess yourself, you feel a bit overwhelmed at times. Pumping does lead to better control overall. It is good to start them young because they adapt better to it. My CDE says there is a group of teenagers in the practice who don't want to pump because they don't want the visual reminder of their diabetes.
    So far we are doing well, some days are crazy, some are great. There is alot of support here on CWD and also on Facebook.

3. lynnh

lynnh Approved members

Thanks, Tamara. I guess there is no right or wrong and it is just a personal decision. I guess, too, that we're not locked in if we change our minds after starting the pump. We can always go back to shots again...

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

We were hesitant pumpers. It was about the same time-frame that we decided to pump. We're really happy with the decision and pumping has made life much easier for all of us. Like you say, it's not a permanent decision and if you don't like it, you can always go back.

Good luck.

5. dvane

dvane Approved members

Ethan has been pumping for 2 years now. For us it was the best way to go. I felt I was chasing him around all day with needles. He liked the idea of no more shots. Just one poke every three days. It made life of diabetes a bit easier to manage.

6. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

My son has been on the Animas Ping for a little over a year. He was very against even the thought of pumping in the beginning. However, now he loves it. He would never want to go back to MDI.

He had a rocky start and wanted to stop after the first week due to a bad site but I asked that he give it another few weeks. He has not looked back since.

I know there are many people that are on shots and love it, but pumping was the best thing for Kaleb.

Best of luck.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I wish we had the opportunity to go on a pump when my daughter was 3. We did shots for 3 years....the pump makes a big difference for being able to eat what & when you want. It is scary at first, but it is true...if you are not happy or its not for you...then you can go back to shots.

kim

8. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We started pumping with the PING in April and are so glad we did.

Animas is a great choice because of the small basal increments and also the remote makes it so easy to bolus, especially when DD wears dresses.

We live fairly close to you in Bucks County. The Animas rep and the trainer we had were great. I don't think you will regret the switch to the pump, but like you said if you do, you can always go back to MDI.

9. Toni

Toni Banned

I think the pump is wonderful for young children, particularly, because the four to five shots a day in addition to all the BS checks is a lot to ask of a small child. Pumping is easier in some respects and more difficult in others (needs careful monitoring, but we monitored exactly the same way on MDI). MDI and pumping were approached exactly the same way for us, as far as basal testing and amount of times we checked blood sugars. Animas is the pump I would also chose for a three-year-old. We needed the .025 increments for years and she was dx'd at 8. When Minimed comes out with the .025 basal increments, then that recommendation will change. I say, go for it!

10. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

My son was dx'd in April this year and he was 16mths we went into using the pump in October. It has been good not only for him but the whole family alot easier to manage and his HB1C is coming down which is good. My Endo said if his HB1C was 8.5 she would be happy but it was 7. So we are very excited. It's convenient, less needles and he is already used to set changes. I wouldn't go back to MDI's now I love the pump and he will not know any different and will think it is a little mobile phone and will be able to do it himself i think when he gets to school.

11. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

We have been pumping for a little over 2 mos now ..Like your child, my child was also dx as a baby and we waited almost 2 and a half years before pumping..I was nervous too but I am happy we are on a pump! Good luck..and at this age..your child will adjust nicely..(they do not like site changes, but that too gets better once they know what to expect..after all that is new to them as well...) You will know what works for your child and what does not when it comes to site changes...You will do great! And so will your child...You will love pumping!